An introduction...

IslanderAdam

Hey all just bought my first z3 last weekend.
Got her pretty cheap with high km. And a few dings so i got some work ahead of me. I'm sure I'll be looking for some wisdom here soon enough but for now I'll just start with a hello.
First z3 is a 2001 2.5l 350, 000 km.
I've had a couple 4 cylinder e36 cars, a 2000 740i , in the past but this is my first gas 6 cylinder. My daily is a 2012 x5 35d deleted with a malone tune. On vancouver island in BC Canada. Looking forward to getting some pointers from some of you!

Attachments

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi Adam, welcome from me near Lincoln UK

Tony.

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
:welcome: - from Chester, England. Lots of help and advice available from fellow members - also have a browse through Articles and resources sections.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Welcome!

Wow. 350,000km that's been a busy car. That's not far short 220,000 miles for those of us here in the UK

Please do keep us posted about how it's doing - ie what kind of wear and tear you find so we know what to expect if ever we do that many.

I assume it's been well cared for and regularly serviced to do that distance.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Hi Adam and :welcome: to the forum from me too in Stafford, England. Owner of another high mileage Zed.

markba633csi

Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 / M44 / 5 sp
Hi Adam- congrats on your new Z3. You'll want to check the rear diff mount for cracks/damage- it's a weak point
Also, if the starter is original you may soon have the pleasure of changing it o_O
-Mark

IslanderAdam

Hi Adam- congrats on your new Z3. You'll want to check the rear diff mount for cracks/damage- it's a weak point
Also, if the starter is original you may soon have the pleasure of changing it o_O
-Mark
I'll check the diff out. Thnx. Luckily the starter was just changed by the previous owner.
Currently trying to diagnose some lean codes rising with rpm. Thinking fuel filter or pump. Doing the filter this week. Just checked behind the seat, carpet cover for the pump hasn't been cut, so looks like original pump at 350, 000 km!
That may be next...

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Lean codes, first thing to check is air leaks in the vacuum system. Usual suspects are splits or holes in the rubber intake boots and all other rubber and plastic pipes in the system. Check if there are any blanking plugs at the rear edge of the inlet manifold, these rubber caps split and fall off allowing air in. Dipstick O rings also known to fail. Smoke test is the easiest way to find any leaks you can't find visually.

IslanderAdam

Lean codes, first thing to check is air leaks in the vacuum system. Usual suspects are splits or holes in the rubber intake boots and all other rubber and plastic pipes in the system. Check if there are any blanking plugs at the rear edge of the inlet manifold, these rubber caps split and fall off allowing air in. Dipstick O rings also known to fail. Smoke test is the easiest way to find any leaks you can't find visually.
Thanks. Replaced the intake boots and valve cover gasket. Got the dip stick o ring on order along with the crank case vent kit. Made a baby oil smoke tester with tiki wicks and nichrome wire. No major leaks visible. Bought a fuel pressure gauge as well. Looks like I'm down about 5 psi. ( about 3 bar where there should be 3.5 . Doing the fuel filter first. I will take a better look ar the back of the intake manifold. Appreciate the advice!

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
:welcome:

IslanderAdam

Appreciate the warm welcome from everyone!
With 350,000km I know I'll need some help for sure. Lol. Seems like a group so far. Glad I stumbled in here. 🙂