Am I safe, here?

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
@DavidM well did that and it looked sturdy enough, but overall I wasn't getting enough clearance to appease my (undiagnosed, untreated) surge of claustrophobia down there.

Dickymint

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
If you only lift one end at a time you will get more room under the lifted end and it would also be a lot safer, I did read once that a car should never be on 4 axel stands the way I'd do it is to stack up some wooden planks eg scaffold planks and make sure that at least 2 wheels are on that, Its probably safe your way 999 times out of 1000 but as a engineer for many years a split seconds lack of thinking is all it takes and it can all go tits up ;)

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Following this...
I done an oil change and was absolutely terrified getting under the car.
I ended up putting breeze blocks under the wheels once I jacked it up.
Saw a vid years ago of a guy who had his leg severed by a break disc after his jack failed...it was not pretty! :yuck:

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I do wonder if some of the issues with fear here are caused by using cheap, cr*ppy jacks and axle stands.

I'm not keen on crawling around under the car as it's awkward and uncomfortable.

But I have no fears of the car falling on top of me. The axle stands I use are very solid and I tend to leave a very solid jack in place at the lift point as backup.

Thankfully most common jobs can be accomplished without having to be under the car.

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I do wonder if some of the issues with fear here are caused by using cheap, cr*ppy jacks and axle stands.

I'm not keen on crawling around under the car as it's awkward and uncomfortable.

But I have no fears of the car falling on top of me. The axle stands I use are very solid and I tend to leave a very solid jack in place at the lift point as backup.

Thankfully most common jobs can be accomplished without having to be under the car.
Confidence comes with experience, which I have non of!
It doesn't matter how good your equipment is, I'm sure if it's not used properly there could be issues.
So from my point of view I'm uneasy as I've never been shown the correct way to do things by someone with experience, plus when it comes to tools I have no idea what's top of the range and what it crap.
Plus the fact that if something bad is going to happen it usually happens to me! :eek:

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
I fully agree, I'm quite 'technical', I tinker a lot and I'm OK with machinery, but I'm always paranoid -- in the case of carrying 1.2 tons on 2 or four points, my engineering mind is worried. i worry about the paving blocks, the stands, and sills being solid enough etc.

By experience, paranoia is good in general, it's probably even more so when it comes to not receiving 1.2 tons of metal on one's chest :)

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I fully agree, I'm quite 'technical', I tinker a lot and I'm OK with machinery, but I'm always paranoid -- in the case of carrying 1.2 tons on 2 or four points, my engineering mind is worried. i worry about the paving blocks, the stands, and sills being solid enough etc.

By experience, paranoia is good in general, it's probably even more so when it comes to not receiving 1.2 tons of metal on one's chest :)
I use Machine Mart 3 tonne axle stands currently £26.39 and advertised as a Car Mechanics magazine best buy. They are rock solid under the jacking pads. It's rare but I have had the car up on all 4 stands and it's still rock solid. Put a wheel or breeze block under the sill for fall back protection.

I jack under the front subframe and the rear axle beam. I leave the jack gently brushed up to the jacking point for extra protection.

The jack I use is a £120 Machine Mart quick lift.

It doesn't really get any simpler in terms of the tools you need and where to put them than that.

Other than to say do it on level ground and preferably concrete.

But if getting under a car isn't for you the tools you use aren't going to fix your concerns.

And no small part of it is taking a leap of faith it's not going to fall on you. Assuming you've put the thing in the air right.

If in that much doubt, under car work may not be for you. As I say, there is little that actually requires you to work under the car that you'd come across day to day.

And I wouldn't really call removing a sump plug working under a car ;) I'm not saying there's not an element of risk but it's really just in and out in a few seconds.

I've rebuilt the front of my project car using these tools and not come within a million miles of any safety issue - touch wood. That includes replacing the engine/gearbox and entire front end mechanicals.

If anyone wants a demo I'm happy to do it btw. I'm in Swindon.

buze

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
No worries guys, it's actually fully on topic, thanks a lot @mrscalex and @ZimZimmer for your input.

I'm actually quite fine in tight spaces, I used to do cave dwelling when i was younger and never had any claustrophobia. The only doubt I had/have in the tools, and setup really, thus my (original) question. I think I just might spend the money on one of these 'tiling' bases; they bring the car up about 60cm, more if you tilt it. Plus I'll get beefier stands. The 'Silverline' I have might be all fine, but they don't LOOK strong. I'll keep them as backups when using another pair.

I'd really love to be able to 'hack' my car properly, I can hack my way into a LOT of gear, a car in comparison is extraordinarily simple and 'crude'. How hard can it be ;-)

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I'm not trying to critise anyone btw. It's just if you were learning to ride a bicycle I doubt I'd help things if I told you how dangerous it was and not to bother trying. I'd just try and explain how to do it successfully and tell you to crack on ;)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
A car up on 4 stands is likely safer than one on 2 stands and 2 wheels on the ground. It is all a matter of confidence in what you're doing.

Tony.

Bonzeau

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 litre Roadster
The tilting car lifts are good, but make sure you also use axle stands or other secondary means of support as a precaution, in case any means of jacking fails.

:drinks:

Bonzo.

Mnbrennan

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
BMW M Coupe / 2.8 roadster
Provided the car is up on 4 axle stands that are seated properly, you'll have no issues.

I sent days under the car when I did the rear refurb on the coupe and it was rock solid

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
@mrscalex, that removal of the sump plug was major mechanical work to me!
It's took me ages, that thing was on tight!!!

I totally get what your saying tho.

@buze sorry for derailing your thread :oops:
Now that's something I can make another suggestion with. You can cut down the amount of time you spend under a car, specifically removing stuck fixings with a breaker bar. One of the best £20s you'll ever spend. The increased leverage moves fixings instantly that you could have spent an hour on previously convinced it was never going to move.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
One of these is helpful too. I tell him what tool I want and he passes it!

IMG_1839.JPG

Seriously, it's not just about securing the car. But it's also about working out how to minimise your time under it and make it more comfortable too. I always wear full overalls so I don't mess my clothes up. I have the radio on (Radio 2 only obviously). You could even think about putting some of those foam interlocking tiles down.

Last edited: