Airbag light on once again

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
The B800 is a basic scanner for airbags, it works and is cheap I have attached the manual to see what it is capable of doing, if you are reading the correct Fault table 6 indiated the firing circuit, belt tensioner, passenger side. So check out the connections at that for dirty condition ensure you have no green crusties in the plugs and sockets under the seat. Youtube video here that explains how to test the tensioner
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZHpPVZKQ6k

Attachments

Last edited:

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Sounds like you're not sure if you have passenger airbag? Not sure if there was ever a z without one? On the passenger side of dash panel it would say something like "SRS Airbag" where I've circled it

1010069A30210921W00141.jpg

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
The previous Japanese owner of my car had taken the warning bulb out of the cluster and filed the hole with black mastic, presumably in frustration with the airbag fault. I have now fixed the system, however it was hair pullingly exasperating.

I have had a nightmare with my drivers seat pre-tensioner, cleaned the connections, checked continuity across the circuit from the SRS control module, carried out the youtube featured resistance checks, replaced the pre-tensioner, all to no avail. I ended up installing the repair cable set 61129118122 as per the BMW technical service bulletin and worth noting that it uses entirely different connectors - no dash light finally!

Also worth noting that I checked continuity across the section of loom i replaced together with the seat element of the loom after I had chopped it out of the car and it was all ok, even if you played with the connector. My theory is that the wires in this section of loom had degraded over the years to the point that they were significantly increasing the resistance and as such the SRS diagnostic check was reading that the circuit was out of tolerance. I'm no electronics expert so can't say more than that, but if i get the same problem with my passenger seat pre-tensioner, I'm not going to mess around and I'll just go straight for the repair cable.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If the car has a passengers airbag it will be in the facia in front of the seat.

Tony.

Joss

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
So a quick correction, my scanner is an ac808, the code it gives is 06 06, I can't see a table 6 or b in the manual? I've had the seat out and checked the resistance on the the pretensioner - it's 0.6 if I reset the code it comes straight back. I asked about the airbag before as I know I have one, but an earlier post said if I didn't have one it would be the pretensioner, the post didn't say what it could be if I did have an airbag. I have got a passenger seat occupancy bypass thing plugged in and that unit had a little bit of blue oxidation, that I cleaned up with some contact cleaner - Any suggestions as to what to check next?

Could it be the passenger door airbag? how do I test that?

Last edited:

Joss

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Having done a bit more clicking around, I think before I look at the door airbag, I'm going to check the side impact sensor on the passenger side, I've had issues with rain getting in and soaking the passenger footwell - so that seems to me to be a more obvious next step

Joss

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Hi does anyone know what the resistance for the "air bag sidebag impact mrsa4 crash sensor side 6910678" is? tia