• You can only post For Sale adverts once you have been a member for 3 days and made 5 posts elsewhere on the site.

Wanted Air Duct / Air Dam underside 51718397359

elky

Zorg Legend
Supporter
Joined
Sep 29, 2022
Points
69
Location
Copenhagen, Denmark
Model of Z
2001 Z3 3.0i Roadster
Is there anyone who has this plastic "air duct" for sale at a lower price than the OEM ~154 euros? Summer is almost here, and I want to see if it can make any difference in engine temperatures, as BMW says it was fitted in hot countries...
 
This was fitted in the UK ( and not a hot country!).
I’ve never noticed a difference with it on or off for temps but it definitely does something for front end stability - at high speeds (over 100mph) the front end gets lighter without it fitted.

I see you are in Denmark, sojust as ‘hot’ as the UK so probably not needed but it’s looks neater with it on.
I’m not selling my spare one as I’ve lost a couple over the years but @spurs fan in a coupe should have one.
I’ll deliver it to Denmark if you cover fuel and Eurotunnel crossing 🤣
 
With global warming I consider all of Europe as "hot" :whistle:

Glad you think it stabilizes the front because I can feel it as you said getting lighter in high-speeds or high-winds!

Would you be willing to put that many miles on your Zed:wacky:? I was considering visiting the twisty B-roads of UK last summer but eventually opted for renting an Mx-5 there instead of putting so many miles...

@spurs fan in a coupe if you have one let me know, thanks :)
 
Havent seen an underside in any Z3 in Greece or Cyprus pre or facelift. Even back when it was new.
Maybe was an option?
 
My 1997 M44 has this fitted. Are we sure it wasn't standard?
Perhaps it was unfortunately the previous owner of my Z3 must 've hit a curb or something cause some of the plastics underneath are missing or have broken clips... perhaps all cars with AC had this fitted? :pompus: In HUBAUER.de it states this, that's why I said it but who knows...

1715610600576.png
 
Yeah I would expect that for Greece it would have been mandatory 🤣
Yet still, Greece, Italy and Cyprus are not standard hot climate versions eligible for BMW.
Australia, Africa, middle East and US/Mexico are.
But you can check that box and have a detuned engine, bigger radiator, different aicon pump and a slightly different ecu programming.
Or that was what they told me when I ordered my 530 back in the day.
 
Yet still, Greece, Italy and Cyprus are not standard hot climate versions eligible for BMW.
Australia, Africa, middle East and US/Mexico are.
But you can check that box and have a detuned engine, bigger radiator, different aicon pump and a slightly different ecu programming.
Or that was what they told me when I ordered my 530 back in the day.
This is interesting I didn't know so much changes for "hot climates" 😲
 
Mine also has this undertray (but I need to keep it). If it was for hotter climates but also for cars with A/C, then it must divert as much air as possible through the radiator and a/c condenser. Air conditioning condensers need to get rid of a lot of heat very quickly, even when the ambient isn't particularly high.
 
My 2.2 without A/C has this tray, and if you look from the top there is another softer piece on top of it. Without the car up in the air I’m struggling to see where the air is being ducted to.
 
It simply forces air going through the front grille to pass through the cooling radiator rather than taking the path of least resistance and going down between the bottom of the radiator and the ground, where it cools nothing really.

Tony.
 
diag_1idu.webp

Two types of air duct (1&2). Depends on model / year which type was fitted, if at all. Parts 4&5 are needed to attach it to. Nothing to do with having air con or not.
 
My Greek Z3 has the No.2 under tray for factory.

I fitted in my 1.9i the back part of underside (1st picture)

IMG_20231228_155432.webp


Searching for the front part No.1 to add

IMG_20240516_023312.webp
(2nd picture)
 
Back
Top