Adjusting driver and passenger door windows

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Z3s don't do this! Our E36 convertible does though, so know what you mean. :)

RAYBOY

Dedicated Member
Maybe later models don’t .Mine’s a 2000 facelift 2.2 Sport
My previous Zed was a 1998 and it had that feature
its something to do with the raise and lower adjustment
Anybody else ?

RAYBOY

Dedicated Member
Found a thread on Bimmerforum
its called a comfort setting
who knew?
Will have a tinker

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Got to say i have 3 zed 3 a 98/99 and 2000 model one of which is a fully loaded high spec model and none of them do that .
Didn't think it was a thing on zed 3 models .
I know other bmw models with frameless drop glass have this feature so if you manage to get your zed 3 to do it i would be interested to know how you achieve it.
Stephen.

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
Even if you could get them to drop with the door handle, I can't see what it would help as the quarter glass is fixed and so is the frame for that.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Even if you could get them to drop with the door handle, I can't see what it would help as the quarter glass is fixed and so is the frame for that.
IIRC You're supposed to drop the windows a tad prior to putting the roof up to prevent the seals inadvertently pushing down on the window when closing.

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
IIRC You're supposed to drop the windows a tad prior to putting the roof up to prevent the seals inadvertently pushing down on the window when closing.
Yes, but I'm presuming this is more to prevent the roof seal catching the window at the (what would be) B pillar end at the wrong angle and potentially damaging the roof seal, or worse breaking the window glass! Not sure though.

Doesn't really help with what the OP wants, though, as when you shut the door the windows will raise anyhoo.

TBH I can't really see what the OP is trying to gain and having recently pulled my door handles apart I don't think the wiring/ switches are there to do it. Could be wrong, though (it has been known!) ;)

RAYBOY

Dedicated Member
We’ll I’ve had a fiddle about and I don’t have a comfort fitting I have learnt how to reset the window switches so every cloud etc.
I definitely had the function on my previous Zed and I’m assuming that it was an option when it was new
one less thing to worry about

thanks for the replies

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
In 25 years of Z3 ownership (4 cars and many shows) have never seen a Z3 with this function. Not listed as an option either. If possible to retrofit, don't know why anyone would bother.

Jam03

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
I’ve read that the automatic dropping of the window glass and nip up only happens on the Coupe. Can’t see what benefit there would be for this function on roadster because there is no recess for the glass to go up into at the top.

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
Also, even if you managed to do it, it's more trouble than it's worth when the weather freezes, as the windows stick to the rubbers and then burn the motors out.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
It takes more than a bit of frost to burn out a window lift motor, besides which a fuse will blow before that.

Tony.