8" subwoofer fitted between seats

dineshee28

Yeah thanks guys! erm...the sound is amazing, the bass i get from the 8 inch hertz woofer is billiant. I also have a couple of CDT 5.25s in door well around 140 watts rms. You can imagine the bass and souns im getting.

I wich if i coould make this but this idea i got from youtube. Some guy in germany built this see link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d88h3XzIOmQ

This is how i knew I could save my space and have bass at the save time but big heavy bass. As you canb see from the Youtube he has put in an 8 inch DD 1508. This sub can cost around £250.00 Its one of the best sub around 800 watts rms. But in a Z3 you only need half of that so went for the Herts 400 watts rms.

I wanted the sub enclosure badly so did my howmework sent a few emails to local auidio shops and they all came back with different quotes but one met my Budget of £500.00 . This inluded a new sub enclosure, Amp and a Sub for 500 but I wanted to upgrade the amp sub to a Herts sub which cost a little bit more so ended up paying £570 All in. A company called brian cars sounds based in Coulsden in surrey took on the job took them three days to do. CAnt fault the guys at all. A very nice bunch of expert builders. I was at first a little nervous to be honest but they deliverd.
http://www.briancarsounds.com/

I really have to praise them for a fantastic piece of work. They did all that by just watching the Youtube clip!! LOL!!

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Hi dineshee28

Welcome to the Forum
Thats looks a neat mod to the car, you were very trusting :-s
I passed that shop the other day, since they diverted the main traffic,
I bet it has suffered having no passing trade
You must be local to me if you went there
i must pop in and have a nose around the shop
:coolsteer) :coolsteer)

It looks better than my Harman base setup

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
i just contacted briansounds very helpful people
i will take the ///M in and see if they can improve
the Harman base
When the weather is warmer of course :D

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Re: 8" subwoofer fitted between seats

Let us know how you get on, and let them know we are happy to link to them if we get enough positive feedback...

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Gary. When i spoke to the owner, i said that his
workmanship was being shown on the site
Hopefully he has had a look on the site
i Will keep you posted :)

dineshee28

Guys, I can recommend them so highly. They have been in the business for 30 odd years so they can do anything. Not only my Sub but other work they have done on other cars is superb. Proper pros! I live in Mitcham in Surrey but its half an hour drive for me without traffic but It was worth all the hassle.

Z

zedonist

Can you advise if it the unit is sealed and / or ported, i looked at doing this, and could not get the volume calculations to work, even for a 6" woofer. Looking at the video of the other installation it is ported, but this is probably the wrong method as depicted by the wave of the cone in operation, it is obviuously suffering as it should be uniform in and out and not doing a mexican wave. Which is why in the end i went for a slim active sub in the end.

Also have you done anything with the rear speakers? The position of the front speakers in the zed is all wrong and i would guess, that if these have not been adressed then anything above 40MPH and you will only hear the sub. In order to get good sound reproduction in mine i put 5.25" components in the back, it was the only way to doo this.

Interested in what you have done.

dineshee28

What I did was I replaced a while back a couple of top of the range component speakers 5.25s. Did some homework and it appears CDT Car spakers are one of the best in the market. http://www.cdtaudio.com/. You can easily spend top of the range high definition 5.25 comps for around 400 quid or buy a midrange pair of CDT cls for £160.00 from Ebay. I bought these of from a car audio company in Essex selling these brand new in ebay.
After installing them I did enjoy them to an extent 140 watts rms. Once I fitted the sub and a more powerfull Amp, sub and door speakers. WOW WOW!!! amazing sound. They really do come to life. I got a Vibe amp 400 watts rms to run the doors and sub. It all works Loud and sound great. Base kicks in when it wants to and just great sound. The small speakers behind, I removed them as they really werent making any difference at all, just a waste.

I promise you if you do this setup you will not be dissapointed.

I fitted a sizable amp behind the dashboard to cout out the clutter! Nowadays you can get powefull amps fit any size space.

Let me knwo how you get on.

Z

zedonist

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=766&p=8192#p8192

See my post above, it is why i asked the questions, I have researched this, and gone through trial and error to establish a very good system, and one of the biggest issues is getting the sound to sit at shoulder / head height, this needed the rear 5.25 and some very decent tweeters, plus tuning of the LPF & HPF of the HU to achieve.

I cannot see in your set up how you have overcome this.

dineshee28

I know what your commenting on rewgards to head high. You dont need head high speakers as the footwell speakers and a powerful amp. Its enough sound to fill the car. If your in the surrey area you can have a look at my set up.

Regards

Dee

Z

zedonist

No need chap, you have answered (or by not) my questions, I understand now that we are talking different styles of an audio set up for differing end uses (both probably class and quality for their purpose), hopefully both sets of information will allow other forum members to choose best for them.

dineshee28

Tust me when I say I have a CDT 5.25 probably the best door speakers you can buy in the market so I recommend It. But you only need to hear sound system to know what im talking about. But trust me. This is an awesome setup. I had my Z3 for 10 years so I do know what im talkig about. LOL!

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
It's great to have the info on different setup options so everyone can see what is possible to get what suits you best. I always think sound is a very personal thing and at the moment I settle for something that isn't where I would like it to be but is better than the HK setup from BMW.

There used to be a company, name escapes me now, that built door cards with the original leather etc. that housed 4 speakers i think. I seem to remember seeing a pic of a Zed with this setup but never heard it running but was something i was considering at one stage. Currently my sub sits upward between the hoops which, while not ideal, sounds so much better than the rattling embarrassment provided by the HK option.

Plenty of food for thought here and maybe we could start an audio wiki section at some stage of how to achieve different sound setups to suit different listening styles? I'm sure everyone would appreciate different stages of upgrades to get an idea of costs to improve a specific area or go the whole hog and replace everything. we could maybe keep in mind the type of music the person listens to as someone listening to classical music is most probably going to want something quite different to someone wanting the sub bass from a dubstep track and then maybe a mix between the two?

I'm no sound expert, as you can tell, but that's where the community experience and knowledge comes in to get ideas, now where is my lottery ticket! :coolsteer)

dineshee28

James,

Yeah, I see your point its true that is at the end of the personal taste. I think you are refering to Jehnert door speakers. They are made in Germany ftted with 4 MB quarts speakers. About 8 years ago I did hear the demonstartion in a mini setup and yes is sounded great. But the price iah to pay was around £1200 and to be honest thats alot of money. I know many car audio companies now build door enclosures for a fraction of price and using your own choice of door speakers.

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
When i read what people do with sound system in cars
i am alway curious do they continue their enthusiasm
at home with their sound system.
I tend to spend more money on home sound than i have done
to the car
Bose and Bang Olafson is my preference at home

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Boysie said:
When i read what people do with sound system in cars
i am alway curious do they continue their enthusiasm
at home with their sound system.
I tend to spend more money on home sound than i have done
to the car
Bose and Bang Olafson is my preference at home
you say that boysie but my house sound system is the speakers built into the tv where my car audio is usualy top quality, even though i haven`t touched the Ms audio set up yet... :ymblushing:

Theres just something about having good sound quality in the car... helps me relax i thing....