2001 bmw z3 tank leak diagnosis with DMTL error

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
A good idea Conrad, you certainly wouldn't have got that effect over here in the UK yesterday. Man I wish we were your side at the moment, I see a warm up on the way!;) Hope you nailed the fault mate.:)

Tony.
Want to swap Tony?? We're back into a cold snap for at least the next week. -24c overnight and -17 or so during the day with some snow on the way again. But the groundhogs saw their shadows today so six more weeks of winter!! Hurray!!! JIM

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
The attached photo is of the charcoal canister on a 3.0i Z3, Euro model. Its located inwards from the left rear wheel, in front of the rear sub-frame. The sub-frame was removed when this photo was taken.

There is a vent pipe that goes from the canister, under the sub-frame and up to a clip on the side of the tank. The vent pipe or the canister may be blocked. Start by removing the vent pipe and inspecting it, it pulls out. The vent pipe would attach to the open hole on the bottom right of the canister.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Conrad

Zorg Addict
American Zeds
Model of Z
3.0 i
Murray,
This is perfect and provides me with a great visual. Exactly what I needed.

Lenny90

Fast forward to May of 2023 my 3.0i is having the same issue. Purchased an OEM cap off FCP reset the code and replaced my fuel filter (because idk when the last time it was replaced). Code is back. With the charcoal canister talked about in the thread that’ll be my next thing to check, but what came of this? Was it the canister or did you solve this by something else?

I saw in other threads a vent valve or vent pump I already forgot the nomenclature.