20 mph limit to be reversed

B21

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 35is
The Scottish councils had to do the same …so we are now to graduated step down, step up limits as you progress into bigger villages and towns..still 20 mph right in the middle…

Lets the turbos cool down ..🤔🏎😂👌

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Perhaps a politician has nicked the money. :ymdevil:

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
I've been through a few over the last couple of years, it's akin to the film Intersteller, I went in at 30 years of age and came out at 157 FFS! Unless they are outside schools and the like they're an absolute nonsense 🙄

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 1.9 (M43)
A government that listens to its people …that will never catch on in England
Hmm more like an election attempt to get votes back, will take years to change back.

But is very good to hear and eventfully common sense

Last edited:

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Some councils (mine for example) did it thoughtfully and only set the 20MPH limits in purely residential roads. Other roads, the ones you do most miles on getting through town, stayed at 30.

Other councils (jobsworths lacking the confidence to decide) simply did a blanket 20 everywhere in town.

On the other hand, our area must have spent a fortune on 20/30 signs for each and every one of those residential roads.

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 1.9 (M43)
Some councils (mine for example) did it thoughtfully and only set the 20MPH limits in purely residential roads. Other roads, the ones you do most miles on getting through town, stayed at 30.

Other councils (jobsworths lacking the confidence to decide) simply did a blanket 20 everywhere in town.

On the other hand, our area must have spent a fortune on 20/30 signs for each and every one of those residential roads.
Welsh Gov spent 33 million on it.. when it is probably better spent elsewhere. Just let the councils decide on it..by schools etc. Total waste of tax payers money

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
People talking about the costs. It wouldn't have cost much to make a blanket 20 limit. No signs means 20. Probably why many councils did a blanket 20. They could do it cheap and trouser the money from govt.

Road I live on is 30 going from edge of town all the way through the middle of town and out the other side. All the smaller residential roads going off sideways, dozens of them, and every one of them has new 20/30 signs. That cost a lot of money.

I didn't support the new limits. But here it really is only the residential streets that are 20 and I don't mind the way they did it.

If just one child playing in the street survives a 20MPH impact, which would have been fatal at 30, then it will have been worth it.

It just needs to be done right.

All those councils who did a blanket 20 will now need to ask for more money now to pay for all them signs that will be necessary to lift the limit on 'some' roads.

Last edited:

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 1.9 (M43)
It was Welsh Government who made the default Speed limit being 20 mph, not the councils.
Where I live there were already 20mph zones around schools. I assume councils put them in place and not Welsh Government. Why change. That is where the Welsh government went wrong. Can't blame the councils when you get given a ridiculous policy to implement

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
I live on the very northern edge of cwmbran. (A town with 3 times the population of your town) so, I assume, many more roads than your town.

i can leave my house and drive at 30MPH right into the very center of town then out the other side. All the way at 30. I can basically get almost everwhere north, east, south or west, at 30. Only when I turn into a purely residential street do I hit a 20 sign.

Are you saying my town broke some rules?

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 1.9 (M43)
I'm not sure mate but 500,000 people can't be all wrong in regards to how badly the Welsh Government have managed the default speed limit law.
Maybe you are just lucky in the roads you use around your town.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
As I said. The default in built up areas is 20.

But borough councils have the ability to set their own 'non-default' limits.

It seems my town have decided to set 30 as a limit on some busier roads in town.

Maybe if all towns did the same then a lot of those 500,000 wouldn't have minded as much.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44

Attachments

mikeyH

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2 Z4 E85
Do you know if they will put the dual carriageways back to the national speed limit, my wife says it's down to 50mph now?

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
Do you know if they will put the dual carriageways back to the national speed limit, my wife says it's down to 50mph now?
First I've heard of there being a 50 limit on dual carriageways, but there again it's a long way from Nefyn to the nearest one. A55, how lovely. Round here the roads are just about wide enough for a few :baa:baa:baa to amble about on.

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 1.9 (M43)
Here in Wales, my.20 mile motorway work journey is taken up with about 50% of the speed limit being 50 mph, to keep emissions down.
I drive past Port Talbot steelworks...biggest polluter in Wales (currently)