1998 m44 engine Z3 check engine light ?

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Hi, I just curious as to what symbol on my dash the check engine light would be...

When i turn the ignition on i have a load of lights on self test... i not sure which is the c.e.l. i have found an error code on my scantool p0340 camshaft sensor fault but i dont get a check engine light... is this normal, or could the bulb be blown or possibly removed...?

have cleared the p0340 fault and it doesnt seem to be re appearing...

littlefeller

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
mine is the same, i had cam sensor faults but no check engine light. i posted on here somewhere a self test sequence that will light up everything and test the clocks too.

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
yeah i see the dash check thing.... i have tried that... it seems as though euro models with m44 engine doesnt get a check engine light.... i thought maybe someone had took the bulb out to hide a fault...

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
yeah i see the dash check thing.... i have tried that... it seems as though euro models with m44 engine doesnt get a check engine light.... i thought maybe someone had took the bulb out to hide a fault...
Yes not all 1.9's have a check engine light, especially the early ones. Mine doesn't have one either.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Not sure what the check engine light actually does on the early cars - on my 98 2.8 I never had a check engine light for faulty crank sensor despite running badly. The light doesn't even come on when the MAF is disconnected but it does store a code.

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
I have the 1998 M44 and as the hand book makes no reference to a check engine light I have assumed it was not functional on my model. The back of the instrument cluster does show the facility but I admit I have never tried a bulb in it to see if it works.
IMG_1193.JPG