Winter work

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
With the car now SORN and put to bed started some cosmetic and mechanical upgrades

First job removing the brake callipers for painting, going with Ferrari red for the callipers but not sure about the carriers whether to do them red or black?

Struggled with the brake pipes but as replacing with new colour coded steel ones cut the old ones so i could get the callipers off, give me a chance to get some leverage in the vice.

Will be giving the arches a good clean and will look to paint some of the suspension parts black.

Now toying with replacing the standard front pads with EBC Green pads. Lots of life left in the standard pads so not sure whether to bother and leave and get a bit more life out of the old ones.

After the brake refurb will be stripping the door cards off and installing some more sound deadening also be having a look at the N/S window think the plastic clip as gone as some slackness in the window.

Last job over the winter sending the Steering wheel off to Royals as a Christmas present to my self.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Good shout on the steering wheel Paul, best value mod IMHO.

Tony.

Olliebeak

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
That is my next improvement, my wheel is worn all around the top half, approx how much is a Royal refurb? I have only had the car for approx six months and the steering wheel is also slightly off centre which is really annoying when driving straight ahead. So the wheel may have been off before or perhaps it could be something to do with the steering geometry , any ideas

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Believe they charge around £150 but that depends on what you have done, i will be going for leather with red stitching and dimples (holes) around the grip area 10 to 2. you can even have one with a flat bottom ala Lamborghini etc. that's extra. you can send your old wheel off to be done or they will do an exchange with a surcharge till you send your old wheel back.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That is my next improvement, my wheel is worn all around the top half, approx how much is a Royal refurb? I have only had the car for approx six months and the steering wheel is also slightly off centre which is really annoying when driving straight ahead. So the wheel may have been off before or perhaps it could be something to do with the steering geometry , any ideas
The wheel being off centre is a result of a very poor tracking adjustment in the past. The wheel should be “locked” in the straight ahead position before any adjusting is carried out. It obviously wasn’t but can be rectified by having the tracking re done. If your not happy afterwards report it to the garage ASAP.

Tony.

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
First day for ages been out to the car, wheels back on using new impact wrench did 3 wheels then decided it had had enough so that's going back. Front brake shield now catching so another job to add to the list, roll on good weather.
Other problem now i have the wheels on i want to go out in it!

Olliebeak

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Bought some Ronal turbine wheels and tyres recently, busy refurbishing them in my conservatory.Not ideal but I only have a lock up with no power. Amazing what you can do with cordless drill and a hairdryer, have to watch for over spray though.

Attachments

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Look smart Paul, you'll want to drive it now:whistle:

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
What a pleasure to go outside and do a bit of a job on the car.
New steering wheel arrived from Royals, so after a quick watch of a how too on You Tube of i went
Bit fiddley releasing the springs for the Air bag (a lot easier on the Z3) but once felt, found and released the air bag was free
Useful having the new one here as i could see what needed taking off the old one before returning.
As usual a quality job from Royal's
P1050667.JPG

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Looking good Paul, makes a great difference!

Tony.