Site Growth Discussion (Pared from spotted thread)

spurs fan in a coupe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Obviously that was a joke.

In all honesty ... yes the forum has changed since its formation, which is natural given how and why it started, but it still remains very different to the other car forums I frequent, .net, z3mcoupe and pistonheads. the others, I find, are quite brash and rarely supportive of people who are after a little advice.

In the early days this forum was for people so enthusiastic about Z3 forums that they couldn't cope without a website that crashed too often. As it has expanded it has attracted those new owners with generic questions and those who are looking to make a few quid or sell a car. Without killing the forum entirely I don't think you can stop this. Although some forums do have certain areas that are only open to people who have posted often enough.

Funnily enough I signed up to an audi TT forum recently and have had an exceptionally luke warm reception that means I doubt I'd use it if I do buy a TT TDI next.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Not too sure what this thread is actually about or where it is supposed to lead us?

Is it about the recent plethora of new members? implying that you can't see the wood for the trees. In all forums people join, some are stayers and participate regularly, others dip their toes and move on!

Is it because there are now so many new threads it is hard to read them all or even to pick the ones that interest you! There still seems to be an even mix of Zed knowledge threads and queries, as well as Lounge banter, but a whole lot more of all of them.

Are you worried that the site is changing beyond your original vision for the forum, which means site management is becoming more difficult and time consuming, .

We enjoy the forum as it is and partake in the banter each day, but increasingly find that we are not too sure exactly who we are bantering with, owing to not having spotted their welcome thread in the first place.

At the end of the day, everybody will get out of it what they want and will vote with their feet, if not!

PS. Would be good to see you all on the next cruise!!!!!!! Even HT, if he pulls his finger out and gets his Zed fixed!!!!

Mike & Sandy

Last edited:

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
My suggestion is we all go the HT's friend's bar and sort this out. While we're there we can fix his car after a day or three of steady drinking. When we're done and back home this will all seem like it was a dream. JIM

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
Gary, if its not broken dont fix it. I think it works well, going back to the early days you would log on and not a lot would be happening now it is great to see so many posts shows interest in the site. I would worry only if posts began to diminish.

Last edited:

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Funnily enough I signed up to an audi TT forum recently and have had an exceptionally luke warm reception that means I doubt I'd use it if I do buy a TT TDI next.
So the next ride will be a TT?:whistle:
On the other hand I'm sure that a 308 or TT owner, will be welcome here with the same civilized attitude! :)
We are all mature hairdresser here!:D

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
rarely supportive of people who are after a little advice.
My personal hatred is visiting a site, asking a question and getting the "use the search button, plenty of threads on this subject" response. Yes, it would be better to just have one definitive post on a subject but just not practical to do so. You would have an incredibly long thread that you can't find the answer in anyway.

...and who is it decides that a particular thread is definitive anyway? Things change over time, for example the Falken 452 has been obsoleted now and that was the tyre of choice for a majority of Zed owners.

only open to people who have posted often enough.
You can only post a for sale advert here if you've been a member for 3 days and made 5 (quality) posts. I'd personally prefer a decent classifieds system, but don't really have a solution for that yet...

but increasingly find that we are not too sure exactly who we are bantering with,
This is a pretty good point, but keep bantering with them anyway =))

Gary, if its not broken dont fix it.
Feedback so far says "not broken", but rather be wary of how the site *could* go direction wise.

I've loved reading this debate so far - it's barely gone off topic, and differences of opinion haven't descended in to an argument. I'm still listening out for any suggestions!

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
it is so nice to have a decent debate.. maybe the Houses of Parliament could take a lesson.. lol..

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
As a relative newbie here I'm a tad late into this biblical debate. I'm a pure petrol head and always will be, I'm also to car mechanics what Bryl Cream is to Kojack so I find the forum an encyclopedia of information. Some day I may even get stuck into such type stuff such as the seat bushes I've just purchased thanks to this site and all the tops peeps on it saving me a fortune (ill do the passenger seat first incase I need to drive it to the garage). The forum is a monster of info and sections with stuff for everybody. Mostly though it's forums like this that I can get techy advice and talk b******s to like minded passionate people about my passion, cars and in particular my Z3 Roadster. More than happy to donate and will be doing so this weekend post full authorisation from the C-in-C and a cap!! I think growth is natural in any forum, especially one as well established as this. There will always be the core members who are the backbone and life blood of the site and I can see by the techy info, discussions and general banter who these guys and girls are. Sound like an interesting bunch with much to say and look forward to meeting you as and when time permits (do I put my children up for sale in the "for sale" section or is that just cars and bits?).

All that aside, right/wrong/indifferent I'm glad to be here. Oh, the 2.8 pre facelift Z3 in black with red leather interior is clearly the best Zed and one to have. :whistle::D

Z

zedonist

I find that the red leather in a Z3 is devoid of buttons which would then give it a Winchester look about it and more in keeping with a gentlemens club of old, TTony knows what I'm on about;).

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Cheeky monkey!=))

Tony.

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
@zedonist Ands whats this about a Winchester look... I agree with @t-tony You cheeky monkey :ymdevil::ymdevil:

Winchester is a nice place.. and not old fashioned at all.. My good man...

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
The only Winchester I didn't like was in M.A.S.H. and that was only cos I fancied Major Hotlips.=))=))

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Where's the engine Ed? my old china.;)

Tony.

ps. You back on the road yet Rich?

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
I think from my early years of working in a furniture shop.. A YTS scheme after leaving school.. You will find @zedonist that is a Chesterfield not a Winchester lol.. =))=))

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Indeed it is, fresh out of the Officers/Sgts Mess by the looks of it.=))

Z

zedonist

No it is a Winchester, it has a slightly higher back and arms than a traditional Chesterfield, So the YTS was a resounding success :thumbsup:

Anyway, that's how Red and Camel seats should look in a Z3...

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
@zedonist Oh you mean one of those High Backed Chesterfields.. hahaha,,, =))