ZimZimmer 2001 Black 2.2 Roadster

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
So this is my little progress log for my Zed.

Had it a week or so now and due to work and weather, not had much time to get anything done.

First job was to give the car a good wash and decontamination. De-tarred with Tardis and Clayed with Bilt Hamber Medium Clay bar. I could then see what state the paint was in as it was difficult to tell when the car was dirty.

Next up was the Lotus White seats and trim which was very grubby indeed.
Unfortunately once I started cleaning it quickly became apparent that the seats had previously been re-dyed and as I was cleaning the dye started to come off!:eek:

I cleaned them up as best I could without removing any more dye, but to be honest they will need recovering or replacing.
I've saw a lot of people here re-dying their seats and they looked great, but I was always wondering what would happen during cleaning and now I have first hand experience.
So be careful with dyed seats, it will come off if you have to give them a good clean.

Next was the carpet which was soaking.
I used my wet/dry vac to get the majority of it from the carpet and the floor underneath, but I could feel the sponge insulation under the seat was still wet.
Seats will need to come out and the carpet to get it dry.
Not sure if this is because the car has no rear window or a leak from elsewhere...time will tell once I get a window fitted.
All the interior plastics and dash had a thorough deep clean and then dressed with some Megs Hyper Dressing.
I'm still not happy with the black plastic on the door cards and dash, so I'm looking at products to bring this back up...it's ok ATM, but not where I want it to be.
IMG_1526.JPG

Today I had a free day so I set about bringing the paint back up to a decent level as it was trashed!
Black cars are always difficult, and given the car is 16 years old you can imagine it was in a bit of a state!
So I set about compounding the car with megs M105 and my DA polisher and megs purple cutting pad.
Working 2'x2' portions at a time and between 2 & 4 sets I went around all the panels.
I then went over it again with a chemical guys green hexlogic pad and scholl S20 black, followed by a final buff with M205 on a black finishing pad.:detailing:

The results aren't bad, not perfect but the difference is night and day.
When I get another free day I'm going to polish the front and rear bumpers & concentrate on individual scratches, but for now, just getting the paint back to a good standard was the goal.

Pics to follow...

Last edited:

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
The paint on every panel was like this...
IMG_1521.JPG

ALOT of swirls and scratches, bird bomb etchings and water spots...it doesn't get much worse than this!

And the results after the 3 stage machine polish :detailing::detailing::detailing:

IMG_1524.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

Heavenly shine!!
IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

Just awaiting my first bits...new rear screen and chrome stone guards from @Davyhoogy which should arrive tomorrow.

The wheels will need refurbishing and I
Need to do an oil change and filter aswel as the car had been sitting for a long while. Once that's done I will assess where to go next.

Last edited:

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 Kobra rebody (see pic)
The car looks sooo much better. I admit that I didn't understand a word of what you used / did to achieve it though.
A detailing section on here with link would be very excellent.
Dave

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Great progress in a week and looking fine so far!

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Paint looks fantastic! Definitely get best results on black cars.
True...but it's so hard to maintain :-/

The car looks sooo much better. I admit that I didn't understand a word of what you used / did to achieve it though.
Dave
Sorry if it sounded a bit confusing...next time I'll take some pics of each process and the products used.
Yes, a detailing section would be a great idea :thumbsup: surprised there isn't one tbh :whistle:

Great progress in a week and looking fine so far!
Thanks, wish I had a week off to spend doing it all. No such luck.

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Rear window and stone guards arrived today.(thanks @Davyhoogy)
So after tea, me & mrs zimmer had a go at fitting it...how hard can zipping a window in be?!
Turns out it was a right PITA!!
Somehow managed to separate part of the zip from the hood :mad:
But after a couple of attempts managed to install it. It's not perfect but will do until I can save for a replacement hood.

IMG_1534.JPG

Also stuck on the chrome stone guards.
Not sure about these...they look better in the pics than In real life I think, but given their magnetic there's no problem with removing them.
IMG_1532.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

Next on the agenda....oil change. Should be fun! =))

Davyhoogy

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
'98 2.8 z3
Congrats on getting that window in without going through a divorce =))
Did you get the lower parts of the stone guards? I think they look great with the gills :thumbsup:

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Congrats on getting that window in without going through a divorce =))
Did you get the lower parts of the stone guards? I think they look great with the gills :thumbsup:
To be fair she was a gr8 help...she got the zip started at first when I couldn't do it. But she started it an inch to far so after zipping it up the last corner just wouldn't go, so had to start again :bashhead:.

Yes I got the lower parts but they don't seem to stick very well. But I prefer without them anyway. Already got a lot of chrome goin on!

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Dave
Agree the thought of attacking my cars with anything more than a microfiber cloth scares the hell out of me, I had a bad experience years ago, never tried again.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Dave
Translated it means he used cutting compound followed by a polish. Using a machine ;)

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
If you're going to get the seats recovered I'll happily take the old covers off you ;)

Not much wrong with them that couldn't be fixed with the right diy materials or a trusted leather restorer professional.

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Done my First bit of proper DIY today & reasonably happy as I'm really terrible at car DIY. Anything more than cleaning and detailing is not me.

Changed the air filter (Bosch)
Changed Oil filter (Fram)
Changed the Oil (5/30 fully synthetic)

Wasn't too bad to do thanks to YouTube vid, but I'm terrified of getting under a jacked up car!
Couple of breeze blocks under the wheel made me feel a lot more comfortable!

Anyway I done it with not too much drama although I did see a bit of rust underneath. Most looks like surface rust but never the less I'd like to address this in the near future.

Next job, remove the perished aerial grommet and fit a new one along with a new aerial when it arrives.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Looks great, I think the chrome sets it up a treat but then I'm biased :D

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
Removed aerial grommet today, only to find the antenna base is broken.
IMG_1619.JPG

so fitting of the new aerial will have to wait until I can get an antenna base. Hopefully the spurs fan who drives a coupe will come through with a cheap one for me :D

Anyway new grommet fitted which I bought from eBay (£14+postage) which looks infinitely better than the horrible perished one that it replaced.
IMG_1622.JPG

I'm awaiting some seatbelt covers, nice short shift gear knob and 3rd brake light decal to arrive and that will be it for this month I think.

Need to start saving as I'd like to replace the shocks, springs and bushes which will cost a few quid and get the wheels refurbished but there's no rush.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto