Z3M softtop replacement

B

badman gee

Hello all

Has anyone had one replaced recently?

Im considering having a new one.

id like to hear from people who have please?

prices and places people reccommend?

Many thanks

Mark

B

badman gee

Gaz

Its a little faded, I have used reveno on it, but it still has some shiny areas.

The rear window needs replacing, and I would like an original.

Therefore I was considering changing the whole lot.

Mark

DangerousDave

Dedicated Member
Don't know how long it takes, but it is the same top for all Z3s. Pre and post face lift, and manual and automatic. There was one in Midlands BM for £350.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
I think your nutts... As there's nothing wrong with your roof or window! Just wasting money boy..

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
I think you'll have to pay the thick end of £500 for a good quality aftermarket hood all fitted. This is likely to have a stitched in window not a zippety doo dar!

I wouldn't recommend asking too many main dealers for prices you'll end up with tourettes. X(

B

badman gee

SilverZed said:
I think you'll have to pay the thick end of £500 for a good quality aftermarket hood all fitted. This is likely to have a stitched in window not a zippety doo dar!

I wouldn't recommend asking too many main dealers for prices you'll end up with tourettes. X(
don't mind paying it as long as they are good.

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
I had a new hood fitted 18 months ago now manufactured by BAS INTERNATIONAL. I originally bought it via a firm local to me but they messed up the installation good style (as I didn't actually want a swimming pool in my boot) so I contacted the manufacturer and asked for help.

Spoke to one of the owners and the only firm he would recommend was A S PICKERING BRADFORD and he had a really high opinion of them.

Pickerings did a fantastic job completely removing the hood and re-installing properly, they were disgusted with the job that my local firm had done. Pickerings do actually make hoods to measure but that may possibly come in at a higher price?? but you would get a bespoke hood made exactly to your specs.

We've since used Pickerings to repair a seat in another car - another brilliant job. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again and highly recommend them. :-bd

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Und how much dat kosten?

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
SilverZed said:
Und how much dat kosten?
Originally £500 fitted but had to pay another £80 to pickerings to completely strip it out and re-install it.

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Are the blue covers I have seen original?

Do pickerings do the zippy thing? Do the zips undo or is it just when replacing just the window?

So glad I could change hood to blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Snoops said:
SilverZed said:
Und how much dat kosten?
Originally £500 fitted but had to pay another £80 to pickerings to completely strip it out and re-install it.
Wow good recovery! The £500 price would have been good if they had done the job right but the £80 for Pickerings to take off and re-install sounds like tremendous value! Shame it was necessary though! :-l

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Couldn't agree more Silverzed, the manager from BAS had spoken to him prior to me going and I think the guy at Pickerings was disappointed for me too and he was a real dead straight guy who you felt wouldn't rip you off. Proper car enthusiast too, he had some really old cars in his workshop that were very big projects, one was an old Rolls Royce.

When we took the other car to get the seat done he was chatting away with me about how great Zippy would look with new leather seats and not in a salesman way, but like a "the car would look great way".

Top guy IMHO :-bd

My window is not a zipped in one, and I don't think BAS do one, but I'm fairly sure Pickerings would make one if asked. To be honest, if I'd known about him before, I would have enquired about him making me a bespoke one with lining, but I'll wait another 10 years and go back for that :D

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
La_vida_diver said:
Are the blue covers I have seen original?

Do pickerings do the zippy thing? Do the zips undo or is it just when replacing just the window?

So glad I could change hood to blue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blue - yes
Pickerings Zips - you need to ask
Zips undoing - I made the mistake of asking that many moons ago and was teased by a certain member who shall remain nameless ... it's not a feature I was informed, to let a bit of a breeze blow in, the feature is only used when replacing the rear window, which, from what I can gather is a tad fidly but do-able.

Jewell

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Z3M
badman gee said:
thanks for the feedback snoops (and everyone else)
[youtube][/youtube]

Personally, I'd leave well alone. Trojan had a super new hood when I bought him - very smart but likewise swimming pool in boot. When he went to BMW for his MOT (just for the laugh - I asked for an estimate) and they quoted me £3,650 to replace. I've had it removed three times (at great cost), twice by a company in Andover and finally, hopefully by a company in Poole, Hants. It has non-leak guarantee now but I won't know if the problem has been resolved unless it rains on the 1st April when he sees daylight again.

Seriously, think on before disturbing something that works efficiently!

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Jewels it sounds like we have had similar experience but BMW quoted me £1,600, my mistake was Mickey Mouse fitters got hold of Zippy first. Pickerings know their stuff.

Snoops ont'apatalk

B

badman gee

Jewell said:
badman gee said:
thanks for the feedback snoops (and everyone else)
[youtube][/youtube]

Personally, I'd leave well alone. Trojan had a super new hood when I bought him - very smart but likewise swimming pool in boot. When he went to BMW for his MOT (just for the laugh - I asked for an estimate) and they quoted me £3,650 to replace. I've had it removed three times (at great cost), twice by a company in Andover and finally, hopefully by a company in Poole, Hants. It has non-leak guarantee now but I won't know if the problem has been resolved unless it rains on the 1st April when he sees daylight again.

Seriously, think on before disturbing something that works efficiently!
thanks for the warning.

i will just get the window replaced and re dye the roof.

mark

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
In case you're not familiar with dyeing the roof I've done a guide from my experience. It's not in the Wiki yet it's in Z3 Roadster section. Hope it helps.
Snoops ont'apatalk

B

badman gee

Snoops said:
In case you're not familiar with dyeing the roof I've done a guide from my experience. It's not in the Wiki yet it's in Z3 Roadster section. Hope it helps.
Snoops ont'apatalk
Thanks snoops.

I put one coat on last year, it should have been 2 or 3.

I will do it again and then change the window out.

Mark

:D