Z300 Barchetta using a Z3 Donor

wca

Dedicated Member
Hi,

I thought I would show a more retro version of the Z3 rebody idea but similar in approach to Bertini. We may be side by side on a stand at the Stoneleigh show if you want to compare.

The original concept :

Work in progress

First public outing

Out and about and enjoying it

Inspired by the one on top but not a replica or copy (Yes, I know it needs painting!)

If you do want one then please tell Chris at Tribute Atumotive that I sent you his direction

wca

Dedicated Member
Mine was to scratch an itch I have had for a long time. I have always wanted a '50s Italian sports car but either can't afford to buy one or can't afford to run and repair the ones I can buy.

I originally started rebodying a Scimitar SE5 but had a slight accident and now can only drive automatics. Los automatics aren't great so I looked for something modern with a 6 or 8 cylinder engine that was reasonably easy to rebodying.

The Z3 hit the mark in terms of engine, drive train and driven wheels. Now Chris has made it available as a kit. The body panels simply unbolt and the new ones bolt on. The entire conversion is probably only a couple of weekends for anyone with a spanner and some sand paper.

I totally understand why this wouldn't appear to the Z3 enthusiast but hopefully you can understand my motivation.

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
I can see what has been tried to do.
And it is a good example.
The issue when you want to recreate the "old style" always reveals the same issues (which you can't resolve with a re-body):
1) overall height of the car.
2) length between windscreen and front wheels
3) dimensions of the doors

These 3 things always give the impression to a lot of people that there is something wrong.
As said, you can't solve that with a re-body.
So the end result is as good as it gets.

For me: A for effort, but no cigar.

I prefer the BT25, they are not trying to recreate an old car, but it is a new style.
Then you don't have the issues with the dimensions being off.

But in the end, that's only my opinion.
Luckily not everyone thinks the same ;-)

Regards, Koen

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
It would be a bit more drastic, but it would be possible to bolt the triangle door window to the body and have a door only the with of the main door window.
The panel behind the front wheels should become larger and include the front part of the door and part of the bottom of the door.
Then a new door should be made (possibly out of GRP - like for other replica's/kit-cars)
For the door hinge, you could fabricate a sub-frame that is bolted to the location of the hinges now, putting the hinge further back and creating a sub-frame on which the larger front section can be bolted to.

As said, this is a much larger conversion, but it would get rid of some of the visual "pain points".

Regards, Koen

Z

zedonist

For me, although not my cup of tea, is exactly what evolution is all about, that we see somthing and say what if, and then do it because it can be done, we would all still be walking if some of us did not have this need to try something different. So keep going for me.........

FRANKIE

Zorg Guru (V)
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3
For me, although not my cup of tea, is exactly what evolution is all about, that we see somthing and say what if, and then do it because it can be done, we would all still be walking if some of us did not have this need to try something different. So keep going for me.........
Impressed by your broad minded thinking and logic. Frankie

Rudyrov

Zorg Guru (I)
American Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 L Roadster
Interesting, sort of a love hate thing with me. I can tell you what I dont like.
I think the gas cap is out of place on that car.
The exhaust pipes should be out the back, maybe Jag style since it also has those lines.
The mirrors on the doors are not a proper fit for this car IMHO.
Otherwise, it looks like its coming along nicely, I cant even imagine how much work has gone into this. Does the hood /bonnet open forward?

Nice work!
Rudy

wca

Dedicated Member
All feed back welcome - even if you don't like it. I built it to please me, which it does. :)

Remember this is built to a small budget and to ensure it is not a kit there are restrictions on what I can change which stopped me addressing some of the earlier (valid) points raised.

Gas Cap - I needed something big enough to allow access to the real gas cap beneath it. Otherwise I was changing the fuel pipe to the gas tank and making new fixing points for the correct filler. Also if you look at cars of the late 50's and that is the normal racing design. I do agree it is a bit bulkier than I would like.

Exhaust pipes out the side is my personal choice. The main pipe is split just after the cat' and then exits each side through a pair of cherry bombs. Sounds awesome although a bit wearing on the 3.5 hour motorway commute home the other day.

Mirrors - These aren't something I had really thought about. I was going to get some bullet shaped ones but the visibility with those is rubbish so I got these. Visibility is nearly rubbish. I am happy for suggestions and pictures

The hood is bonded to the original BMW frame so the front lifts up which does look like the wrong way round but it makes it a lot easier to work on and I don't drive round much with the hood open.

The gas cap and the hood are examples of budget dictating options but both are bearable compromises to me. I like the fact that the doors, hood and trunk are all standard BMW hinges and catches as these are normally the weakest and least likely to work parts of a kit car

Rudyrov

Zorg Guru (I)
American Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 L Roadster
Sorry, I was not trying to be rude, just making my observations on what I saw if say I was to buy one like that.
I didnt want to put you on defensive.

wca

Dedicated Member
No worries - I am not being defensive and wasn't offended. You can't drive a car like that and not grow a thick skin.

I rather enjoy explaining why it looks the way it does. I spent the first three months planning this car from a hospital bed so had plenty of time to think through things

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
It's looking much improved over the first few pictures you posted.

The darker colour suits it much better than the red. A few visuals not to my personal taste, but otherwise looking pretty nice overall. :)

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
The biggest problem for me is the 'weedy' wheels.

It needs lowering and bigger, with wider rear wheels in my opinion.

Other wise it looks good! Hands down for effort.. Not many people would attempt this

Z

zedonist

The Bertini does not appear to be that exclusive looking at yours, think the wheels are nice, leave it without spacers for the retro 60's look or space to fill the arches in the classic modern euro look for me

wca

Dedicated Member
I like the wheels too!

Rear spacers will help fill the arches but not look like the modern full on flush fit

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
I would suggest lowering it 30mm all round if its still on oem springs..
This will make your wire wheels sit much better.

Plus the rear spacers 15-20mm