Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z3 wreck repair build-up (QLD Australia)

Discussion in 'Progress Threads' started by fuzz, Oct 16, 2014.

1. fuzz

fuzz Dedicated Member
    Australian Zeds

Hi All,

Just thought I would start off a thread about a build up on a damaged Z3 I got. Always appreciate advice and assistance as I don't know the car and this is just a hobby for an amateur.

Cheers,
    Fuzz

As I got it:

3333.jpg getPublicStockImage.jpg getPublicStockImage2.jpg getPublicStockImage45.jpg getPublicStockImageCAIWVIMA.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. fuzz

fuzz Dedicated Member
    Australian Zeds

Bolt on guards - nice:

going to have to go to the shop to be pulled out and then source the body panels, quarters and a new bumper. I was hoping that there was someone who did an aftermarket fibreglass one but can't find one for the facelift as yet. Was going to look into making them but I will prob bite the bullet and ship them used from UK, US or Japan (rare as rockinghorse sh*t here).

IMG_2530.JPG IMG_2531.JPG IMG_2536.JPG IMG_2538.JPG IMG_2539.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  3. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Looks mainly cosmetic damage, so should be a relatively easy project. Is there any damage underneath that I can;t make out?

There is a chap on here called @Stormy_be who makes panels in fibre glass, but probably not setup for facelift rear wings I guess. You may also want to have a chat with another guy called @spurs fan in a coupe who is regularly breaking Z3s (UK based). Both very useful contacts to keep on file.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stormy_be

Stormy_be Zorg Guru (I)
    Belgian Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8 Roadster
    You are correct.
    I do have moulds for fibreglass rear quarter panels, but mine are pre-facelift wide body panels.
    I don't actually know if pre-facelift panels would be possible to fit a facelift model.

Regards, Koen

5. fuzz

fuzz Dedicated Member
    Australian Zeds

it is mainly cosmetic with the exception of the damage to the passenger rear wheel well near the door and the drivers rear corner. I'll get those both pulled out properly on a jig and then have new pieces welded on just to do it right. No problems underneath or elsewhere have popped up.

I actually contacted @Stormy_be and he only has the pre panels in fibreglass unfortunately which I would have to change lights and bootlid and a few other things from what I understand and wouldn't be as pumped. I will probably just try and source some 2nd hand. Was going to look at finding someone locally who would let me take theirs off and 3D scan them to potentially print some but that might just be more hassle than it's worth in the end.

I will contact @spurs fan in a coupe. There was also a guy on eBay in Marlborough, Wiltshire UK who had very reasonable parts.

Thanks

6. Stormy_be

Stormy_be Zorg Guru (I)
    Belgian Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I also have the pre-facelift bootlid in fiberglass (inside and outside parts bonded together) ;-)

7. g8jka

g8jka Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
    Welcome, should be a lovely looking zed once its all finished. I have 2 spare facelift rear arches that I will be selling soon if your interested and the postage is relatively straight forward and affordable for you.

8. fuzz

fuzz Dedicated Member
    Australian Zeds

Thanks Dave - I am interested.

9. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend
    Supporter The M44 Massive

welcome Fuzz, nice to see one being kept on the road and not sent to the bone yard :) love the colour, keep us posted and best of luck with her ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. fuzz

fuzz Dedicated Member
    Australian Zeds

Thanks David

If it was any other colour I would have had a go at vinyl wrapping it particularly with the used donor parts I will need however I really do like this gunmetal grey colour (Stirling Grey).

It was amazing that it came up as the exact model and colour that I wanted, even with the rim style I would have gone for.

It's supposed to be the donor car for a motor I have but the motor seems relatively healthy and reasonably powered with 150k km's so I may just run that.

11. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

is one of the wheels busted man? whats the other lump? 3L? m tec? if you are doing any colour change have a look at plasti dip but id be happy with the colour it is :)

12. fuzz

fuzz Dedicated Member
    Australian Zeds

That wheel seems ok I guess the tyre just blew out - you can just make it out sitting in the passengers area with the inner guard. It's not cracked as I thought it may be but maybe on balancing it will be warped or dented?

The other lump is a 1UZ-FE turbo which I've got an electromotive computer for and will run on E85 fuel. Should be good for enough ponies to move the Z3. Here she is patiently waiting in the background:

IMG_2541.JPG

not sure though as I also have a couple of M122 superchargers coming, one of which I'm going to put on a 1UZ-FE which I'm putting into a Toyota Hilux 4WD. Might leave the 3 Litre in if I can figure out an intake and fit a roots charger in there?

13. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

hmm too many toys there haha hard to make a decision when there are so many lol some chassis stiffening may be in order ;-)

14. fuzz

fuzz Dedicated Member
    Australian Zeds

definitely seems like I will need some reinforcement either way and I will likely put in some better bushings and coilovers.

and I have to figure out the LSD situation - a lot of reading and researching in that space!

15. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

i think @zedonist might be able to point you in the right direction re LSD, any questions you have, just fire them out there, seems to be plenty of knowledge on this site, i am only new to the Z myself and have plenty of support on this site, great bunch of guys and galls here Fuzz ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Aceman

Aceman Moderator
    British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

Model of Z:
    ///M Roadster
    @fuzz have you had the geometry checked on the rear end ?

If it has had a sideways knock on the back like it looks to have it is not unknown for the rear subframe/wishbones to become misaligned causing the all sorts of problems.

• Like Like x 2
  17. fuzz

fuzz Dedicated Member
    Australian Zeds

Hi @Aceman - It has had a knock and it may be out of alignment, hopefully not too badly. In Australia they have become very stringent with crash inspection and "writing off" cars that have structural damage, it's reasonably unlikely that you would see a car which has any major structural damage that is classed as a repairable wreck as this was.

a 5 min video on a car bench and pulling the car back for anyone who hasn't seen this as I hadn't. Naturally they use precision laser/computer to measure how much to pull. The shop I am taking it to it's basically a robot who pulls the panel back to <1mm of factory and does the spot welds.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vX4XHpNTJuI

• Like Like x 3
  18. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive

Who is this chap then fuzz?

19. fuzz

fuzz Dedicated Member
    Australian Zeds

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  20. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter Canadian Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    Hi fuzz, you may find a forum member willing to do the leg work involved with picking up your parts from this seller and posting them to you. Any offers?? JIM