Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z3 undersides

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Brian4, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    I've been working at a local college today and as it is half term managed to put the Z3 on one of their vehicle lifts and had a good check around. I am certainly impressed as there is not a speck of oil on the underside. Most 12 year old cars would be grubby and mucky by now. Might have to have another borrow in the summer and check the diff and gearbox.

Brian

2. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    I really didn't want to see underneath my Z3. What I could see was really in need of a good clean. That which is out of sight is out of mind :D

3. RodsZ3

RodsZ3 Dedicated Member

Model of Z:
    2.2i Sport
    Hello Brian,
    If I had known you were going to be underneath your Zeddy I'd have asked you to take a photo of the area next to where the drivers foot well is.
    I want to know how much room there is between the tunnel side and what ever is next to it...gearbox, prop shaft, any wiring etc.
    Oh well never mind....perhaps next time.....unless I decide to crawl under my own Z3 when it gets warmer. #:-s
    No doubt you'll be doing a bit of polishing next time :-j
    Cheers
    Rod

4. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    Hi Rod

Might get another chance soon so will take some then. There is a thread on .net where a Z3M owner has been cleaning the underside of his M and is better that most of our bodies. Worth a look it's in the gallery and called 'winter work'.

I'm wondering what you want't to fit in there, and mine might be a bit different as it is an auto.

Brian

5. RodsZ3

RodsZ3 Dedicated Member

Model of Z:
    2.2i Sport
    Hello Brian,
    That's ok, mine is an Auto aswell. :-bd
    The reason for the request is that as the car is an auto I'm toying with the idea of fixing a set of 3 peddles for the Z3 auto available for ebay.
    The third peddle is a footrest and it's a little vague how it is fixed to the car, :-? glue was suggested sticking it to the 'bulge' in the carpet on the tunnel side.
    The bulge is supposed to be a footrest as you know but it's not wide enough for my foot hence the idea of a footrest 'pedal'.
    I was hoping to use a more substantial fixing by using 'clinch nuts' or 'hank bushes' which means drilling through the tunnel side so I just wanted to check whats there and how much room there is before I stumble into doing some expensive and hard to get at damage! x_x
    So a photo of the tunnel side area would be jolly handy, a referance in the shot would be good to like a box of matches, or a rule perhaps so it can be judged how wide the gap is from the photo.
    Obviously this is only a way for me not to crawl about under my own car and lay on a cold concrete drive waving a camera around randomly.
    Cheers for now
    Rod