Z3 real world fuel consumption

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I'm looking at replacing my current Z3 & MINI daily driver, and replacing both with a newer Z3. Biggest decider for me is running costs as I will be doing reasonable mileage when I'm on the road contracting. Most of which will be motorway cruising, something my 2.0 is a bit low geared for.

Would be looking either at the 2.2 or facelift 2.8, possibly a 3.0?? Depending on running costs I may even be tempted by the 1.9.

So what fuel consumption do you lot get. For reference I always seem to get about 28mpg out of my 2.0 which is about 225 miles from a full tank.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
I used to get mid 30's on the motorway and mid 20's around town with my 2.8. The thing was it was quite a relaxed cruiser as it had so much torque so would definatly say a 2.8 or a 3.0 would be a good choice as when you want to put your foot down you also have the big grin factor you might not get so much with the lower capacity engined Z3's.

Ragtop

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
Gary when I had my 1.9 I got 35mpg. My 2.2 I get 31mpg, both figures arrived at by making note of miles done between filling of the tank every time.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Our 3.0 returns 26mpg around town and 32mpg on longer runs. You just seem to be able to keep it in 5th and hardly ever change down when on Motorways as it just pulls when having to do lower speeds for traffic.

Ferdinand

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Z3 3.0iA Sport Edition
2002 3.0 Automatic: - average consumption is anything from 7.1L/100km up to 10L/100 km depending on which wheel I have on the cars.
Currently running on the 17" with 225's on the front wheels and 245 on the rear wheels which make the care use a bit more fuel than it does on my 16" alloys which have 205's on all four rims.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
2002, 2.2, Manual - depending on how heavy my right foot is low to mid 30's. Plenty of torque for me so for just tootling around I can stay in 5th for most of the time...

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
All good info so far. I would love an auto, especially with the steptronic box (had that in my 3.0 Z4). Would be great for when I have to commute in to London - last two weeks have been 105 miles to site, and average of 2.5 hours to cover the distance :(

Just looking for the ideal engine for relaxed motorway cruising, as my next contract is 10 weeks of driving. Think it will be great to have the Z3 as my only car!

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
Go for the 3.0 gaz. Wont be disapointed with both aspects of performance and consumtion

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Go for the 3.0 gaz. Wont be disapointed with both aspects of performance and consumtion
Would love to, but looking on Autotrader there is a lack of 3.0 Sports other than private sellers. Ideally need to do a trade in on my MINI Cooper to avoid the aggro of selling it privately.

There are a lot more 2.2 Sport models out there to choose from as well. Difficult decision, but not the worst one in the world to have :)

Will be selling off some of my collection of Z3 bits which I won't need which should help recoup the costs.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Down Swindon way Mint. Might take you up on the offer if I visit my mate up that way in the coming weeks.

Although time is not on my side right now. My Z3 will be going SORN at the end of the month, and really need to have another one sorted by then, and certainly no later than the 15th of next month.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Ok but on those timescales you'll have to see him soon. Also we're going on Hols from 15th July.

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
Gary go for the following:

1) 3.00
2) 2.8

Wish I had gone for the 3.00 as it returns better mpg than the 2.8 I get 236 miles per tank when not driving like a demon. and got 32 mpg when we went to Spain last year. But I have got my 2.8 down to 22mpg:( on one of the cruises..

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
dont know why your getting rid of the MINI.....great cars and bags of character

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
dont know why your getting rid of the MINI.....great cars and bags of character
One too many cars at the moment. This MINI has been the best car I have ever owned for reliability and running costs. Will be sad to see it go.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
On a run I get 28mpg from my M. But usually get around 200-220 miles per tank

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
On the Weston trip which was about 240 miles in all Nutty_Hazel spent £2.40 less in fuel in her 2.0 that I did in my 2.8 (Blue for the road) but if you really tank the 2.8 like Black for the Track when I was at Cadwell I got 10.2 MPG.

They do say that the 3.0 ltr is the engine to have, but I can't for the life of me remember where I read it or why they said it! Senior grey moment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk