Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z3 engine compatibility

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Tyler the aviator, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Tyler the aviator

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to these forums and had a question about my z3.
    Unfortunately, I experienced a "money shift" otherwise known as mechanical over-revving.
    I am going to try and salvage the car with the current engine, but if that doesn't work I'm going to need to swap.
    My question is: "What engines can I swap into my car without replacing the transmission or other important components?"
    will I have to stick with the same 2.5i engine? or can i use the 2.8, 3.0, 3.2, etc
    I don't necessarily need more power, I just see these engine pop up a lot more.

2. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    Welcome Tyler,

A straight like for like swap is always going to be the easiest & cheapest option. I'm sure someone more proficient with a spanner will give you better guidance than I ;)

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  3. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Other than the //M engine and the 1.9, all will fit mechanically, but you will need to confirm gear box and final drive ratio. Electronically you will need the ECU as a minimum, plus extra or less sensors / modules specific to the engine, trawling realoem may help confirm the differences.

• Like Like x 1