Rebody Z3 Based Ferrari 250 California Build

MisterP007

German-Italian-British Mix - What could go wrong?
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
BEWARE

Link to DNA site showing his reputation

1 post and offering shell for sale with direct email address.
Con man & crook

lists on eBay under budgie*bird and elite_productsuk and couple of others so that he can bid his own items up.

normally lists items located in Windsor, Marlow or Maidenhead. Keith Groves
Good that you highlight this b*****d Steve as I have had a few telephone calls with him when I was looking for a shell. As you say he is an "absolute shyster". Why Ebay has not banned him is beyond me.

CROOK ALERT PLEASE AVOID

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 Kobra rebody (see pic)
S
As I needed to establish exactly what needs cut back on the centre console, I decided to bolt the seats in place fully and hook up the electrics.

With the seats forward a little and raised about 75% the clearance is better for the original Z3 plastic control section (may have to re-fit this higher up when the seats are trimmed as this will help clearance). However, the Seat Belt Pre-Tensioner tube snatches at the trim when the seat is moved forwards (gouges a nice groove in the ply to help mark where it needs cut back, which is helpful). I have marked up where it needs cut and will sort this out tonight (glad the console brackets are on the outside).

Not fancying removing the console I opted for cutting back the rear bulkhead, cutting speaker mounting holes and a slot for the seat belt to pass through. I need to work out the rear section now allowing for the Tonneau Cover fittings to work out correctly and the roof mechanism to clear fully (very tight). I still have the Z3 plastic trim from this area which is handy to measure clearance/fit etc.

View attachment 206555View attachment 206557View attachment 206559
Love the rear cockpit on this build and may steal the idea and style for mine. The panels you made up for the rear - they weren’t templates you kept are they ? /hint hint /

I nee to get my finger out and order gauges before I start though 😀

MisterP007

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
S

Love the rear cockpit on this build and may steal the idea and style for mine. The panels you made up for the rear - they weren’t templates you kept are they ? /hint hint /

I nee to get my finger out and order gauges before I start though 😀
Hi Dave

No templates, sorry to say, I tend to free-cut quite a lot having been a carpenter many moons ago (gives you an eye for the shape).

Not touched the car since the week after Xmas - house stuff and work taking precedence.

jaguartvr

Zorg Guru (I)
I can supply a GRP version.
The original DNA version wasn't deep enough so it wouldn't sit properly, also the shoulders at the edge caught the roof when it was raised or lowered.
The version that I can supply has these problems corrected so is very easy to fit.

DaveP

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 Kobra rebody (see pic)
I can supply a GRP version.
The original DNA version wasn't deep enough so it wouldn't sit properly, also the shoulders at the edge caught the roof when it was raised or lowered.
The version that I can supply has these problems corrected so is very easy to fit.
Thanks Steve. I shall consider that option thank you. I did have a Nubodi one but that didn’t fit at all well so gave it away.

jaguartvr

Zorg Guru (I)
The Nubodi panels were very poor copies of the original DNA panels. The DNA panels were all very well finished but they all needed extensive modifications to get them to fit. I have all the interior panels available, they have all been modified including the dashboard. They then had a professional laminator and pattern maker make new moulds. All the panels are made up by a GRP laminating company.

IanA

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
...I don't think that the centre shroud on the P700 does the beam pattern any favours...
So I've given up on the P700 "tripod" headlights and fitted a pair of flat front basic headlight units. With the Nightbreaker 200 bulbs they are brilliant; night into day and any other cliches you care to throw in. I've seen the light and now I can really see where I'm going.

jaguartvr

Zorg Guru (I)
Interesting. My swb has the same lights with night breaker bulbs and the illumination is awful. I had the lights properly set up at the MOT station and still no improvement. In fact, I now just drive around on main beam and I have never been flashed back, just shows how poor they are.
On the California, they have to work through the perspex covers which are never optically perfect so they are even worse. I think I will also have to revert to standard headlights, shame as they do look good but the most important thing is that they need to work,

IanA

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
...On the California, they have to work through the perspex covers which are never optically perfect so they are even worse...
I have standard headlight units with basic H4 bulbs on my Z300S and even with the perspex covers, they are adequate.

jaguartvr

Zorg Guru (I)
One thing to be aware of, most standard headlight units come with chrome trim rings, normally for a mini. These rust before your eyes, I upgraded them to stainless steel but these also rust very quickly, obviously a Chinese "stainless steel".
I then fitted trim rings from a Healy, about a £100 a pair but they haven't marked after 3 years.
For the California I bought a complete set of the P700 from eBay (route 65?), these have stainless trim rings and haven't marked so are good quality, however the diameter of the ring is 210mm, the classic mini trim is 205mm. Not a problem if you are building a SWB but the larger ring will not fit the California headlight aperture. I have had to swap back to the classic mini one that I have coated with "protecta clear", this is a clear coat that you apply with a lint-free cloth and simply wipe it on. I have used it before with great success but had to order it in from the US and it's not cheap.

IanA

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Agreed. Those trim rings rust readily. I have some spares. I've resorted to grease on the inside on the TFS. The Z300S doesn't have them as my inspiration Maserati 150S Fantuzzi doesn't use them under the perspex covers. I do remember a clear coat for chrome from years back. Probably couldn't sell it now due to the solvent used.
Vintage65 say even of their stainless rims- "corrosion in the UK climate is inevitable without regular cleaning so a polish and a good wax seal is recommended on a regular basis to maintain the luster ".

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Just give the rings a coat of lacquer we do this with brake discs to stop them looking all rusty :)

jaguartvr

Zorg Guru (I)
The problem with spraying lacquer onto chrome is that it doesn't get much adhesion, it really needs the surface keying which ruins it. The protectacoat is designed to be wiped on/ I came across it when a company was fitting copper lettering to a shop facia and they simply wiped the protectacoat on. It lasted for 15 years before it needed re-applying.

For brake discs, I always spray them with BBQ paint, first time you apply the brakes it comes off on the contact area leaving the rest protected with high temperature paint, cheap too,

MisterP007

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Sadly the 250 Cal is up for sale!

MisterP007

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Hi all

Not been on for a while as I lost the use of my big workshop and moved to somewhere with no facilities to build a car (not even a parking space!).

I have now sold the car to a very nice guy who will no doubt be joining the forum in due course. He will be continuing the build from here on.

I still have the 250SWB Replica (the blue one).

No doubt there will be a follow-on thread linked to this one when the new owner signs up.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Sandy

Phil70

French Zeds
Model of Z
Hello MisterP007,
I'm looking for the same kit, where can I bought the same one ( for the real rear light ferrari)
Thanks for all help
Phil

MisterP007

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Hello MisterP007,
I'm looking for the same kit, where can I bought the same one ( for the real rear light ferrari)
Thanks for all help
Phil
Hi Phil

If you are looking for 250 California speak with @jaguartvr (Steve) as he may be able to help you out.

If the 250 SWB kit then www.classiccoachworks.com

The California is hard to come by.

jaguartvr

Zorg Guru (I)
I can supply a 250 California kit and everything that you would need. I might even be able to help with delivery.
Do be aware that it is hard to register a modified car in France, I have been told that it is easy to register it in Holland and then import from Holland to France but I have no first hand knowledge of this.
I do know for certain that as soon as you start dealing with the French authorities you will lose the will to live!

Phil70

French Zeds
Model of Z
Thanks for you answer,
I know all that.
Could you send me a MP for price
Phil