z3 alarm

Billyuk1966

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
hi all,
just managed to re-sync my alarm for using information on this forum. great help.
the next problem i have is the under bonnet siren in faulty and requires a new one.
the part number is 82 92 9 404 857.
i was wondering if i could use one from a 3 series? are they all the same.
cheers...

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Might be worth seeing if @spurs fan in a coupe has one, and not sure how far @TaffZee has got dismantling his.

Generally I can't see why it wouldn't work, but you can compare the part numbers against a similar 3 series using http://bmwfans.info

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
You can also use that number in Ebay and see what comes up. Often the supplier will state other models that it will fit. Finally, you can ask the dealer for additional confirmation.

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Oooh, 5 years I've been looking on realoem and I didn't know you could do that... that's really handy :)
Where have you been :D

It is a great way to find out what other cars share the same part particularly if you are looking on ebay at breaker parts because they charge more for ///M parts than a standard 3 series when they are the same part. Just pop in the part number on the front screen where you normally enter your vin or model details and bobs your uncle.;)

pina4greg

Zorg Addict
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
2000 z3 2.0 litre, 5 speed manual
DO all z3 come with alarm? I have the 2000 model with the key only lock/unlock. are the indicators supposed to flash when the alarm is armed?

Rudyrov

Zorg Guru (I)
American Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 L Roadster
No, but it seems they all come prewired. There is a label in the trunk near the trunk light that tells you if your car has alarm wiring.
That info might also be available as a Vin number search?

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
DO all z3 come with alarm? I have the 2000 model with the key only lock/unlock. are the indicators supposed to flash when the alarm is armed?
The alarm was not required by Australian law at the time, so most of us will not have the alarm, just the engine immobilizer.

Billyuk1966

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
just an update for the alarm fault i had.
symptoms were...
got fob working
doors locked and unlocked
indicators flashed with lock and unlock
top hat led flashed as it should.
the siren didn't chirp on lock and unlock or sound when being set off.

after removing glove box and checking every wire for feeds, earths and door boot radio switch bonnet triggers
everything checked out ok, so you think suspect siren....no... after tracing the trigger feed to the siren from
the alarm ecu when alarm activating it was there at ecu but it was not at siren.
found the molex 8 pin plug at the siren had a corroded pin in the plug not making a contact.
the interesting bit is the plug for the siren is an 8 pin atx computer molex plug.
just picked one up and am going to solder it in place.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pin-Mol...n_Power_Cables_Connectors&hash=item4d1f8f4dfe

will keep you all posted.....

pina4greg

Zorg Addict
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
2000 z3 2.0 litre, 5 speed manual
thanks for the replies to my alarm question. now i also notice that there is a blank tab next to the soft top button. should have been a giveaway...
safe driving to you all...

greg

Billyuk1966

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
hi,
just a quick update "alarm working"
soldered the new siren connector on and insulated the wire plugged in and bingo!!!
it was hard to see with the siren plug on the car but you can see 2 pins are corroded inside the plug.
any body with no sound from siren always check the connector plug for corrosion....
tried to take a picture of the socket for future reference but crappy phone camera...
cheers everybody for the help.
love the beeps when it arms and disarms....