Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z1 window not working

Discussion in 'Z1 Roadster' started by Paolo sala, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Paolo sala

Paolo sala Newbie

Hi,
    I am restoring a Z1 and I have issue with the driver window.
    The door works perfectly and when open it the window follow it and goes inside. When I close the door the windows close but not completely (like in the wheeler dealer episode, leave 4 cm. Gap with the soft top).
    And the windows itself doesn’t work with the internal switch (if I want to open the window I need to open the door).
    Tried to swap the switch and it works, swooped the ecu but no luck. What could be? The motor works, could be a microswitch? How to find which one? Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive

3. Low Rider

Low Rider Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Welcome Paolo. Hopefully you'll be able to resolve the issue with your window.

4. FRANKIE

FRANKIE Zorg Guru (V)
    American Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    Z3
    Welcome to the forum from Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey. As @hard top said above, there are no Z1 owners on board. It could be possible that there is a defective wire in the harness that goes from the body of the car to the door. This is just a guess but it might be a starting point of an investigation. It has happened that convertable tops stop operating when they reach a certain position because wires that control the operation of them break at a certain point where they are constantly bending during the opening and closing of the top. In certain positions, the broken wire makes contact giving the impression that there is a complete circuit but when bending with the opening of the top, they separate opening the circuit and stopping the operation of the top. Perhaps the bend it the wire of your door harness does the same thing having a complete circuit in one position and breaking that circuit in another position, ie. open and closed door. Owners of convertable tops have found these breaks by opening the harness at the bending points and examining the wires at that point looking or testing for the break. Keep us informed as to your progress in solving this problem and once again......welcome............Frankie

5. BMBabe

BMBabe Zorg Guru (V)
    Staff Member Supporter British Zeds Community Admin

Model of Z:
    Z3
    Welcome from Aylesbury I would love to see some pics please
    Z1 are awesome :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DavidM

DavidM Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds

Model of Z: