z 4 coupe wanders offline

john ball

Model of Z
z4 coupe
Hi everyone,
A recently aquired z 4 coupe has an unnerving habit of veering offline when it hits a ridge or unneven surface. There is no play in the steering and has been checked out by the supplying dealer, could it be the type of tyre ?

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
Hi and welcome :p
From Bradwell near Great Yarmouth ;)

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Hi and welcome. This is what we call tram-lining and is common in the Z3, not sure about the Z4. It mostly caused by old, hardened, or worn tires but sometimes worn bushes will contribute. Look it up in this forum and you will see heaps of posts about it. I also suffered from it [quite scary actually] but it went when I got some new tires. Good luck.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Welcome John :)

Various things can cause the symptoms you are seeing as Coops has already mentioned. Tyre pressures, old/cheap/crap tyres, worn bushes/suspension and so on.

What brand tyres do you have on the car, and do you know how old they are (guessing you have just bought this...)

BMBabe

Zorg Expert (I)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
Welcome from Aylesbury :p :thumbsup:

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
My Z3 suffers scarily at times. When doing 50+ (which is rare :D) I hold on tight with both hands. I have a good matching set of tyres all round so put it down to worn bushes and suspension which I'm hoping to have replaced over winter if pennies allow. This should hopefully cure the problem.

Last edited:

Bazza

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Welcome from meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:)

Carl Latham

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si coupe
Hello and welcome. It's down to "tramlining", the feeling of the car wandering over the road. This is worse if you have run flat tyres fitted, but tyre condition and if you have different pressures in all tyres. Id say rfts is the big contributer to the feeling. I am in the same boat, but the rears are now Bridgestone non rfts. The fronts will be changed to the same as the rears once they are worn down. Also welcome to the exclusive coupe club.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Hi @john ball, :welcome: to the forum from me too in Staffordshire. As many have said tramlining sound like your problem. Lots of info on here about it.

miller1098

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M
My Z3 suffers scarily at times. When doing 50+ (which is rare :D) I hold on tight with both hands. I have a good matching set of tyres all round so put it down to worn bushes and suspension which I'm hoping to have replaced over winter if pennies allow. This should hopefully cure the problem.
Just do the front anti roll bar bushes with pro flex ,I think I paid about £30 odd and report back its the easiest fix

Mnbrennan

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
BMW M Coupe / 2.8 roadster
Welcome from beyond the wall...

Eddie Zedder

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.0
Hello and :welcome:.

Green Arrow

Hi everyone,
A recently aquired z 4 coupe has an unnerving habit of veering offline when it hits a ridge or unneven surface. There is no play in the steering and has been checked out by the supplying dealer, could it be the type of tyre ?
Check your tyre pressures; have had the same issues with z3's & 4's and it was down to this both times.

john ball

Model of Z
z4 coupe
Thanks for all your comments, very helpfull, the tyres on all 4 wheels are Toyo Proxes T1 non runflats , first manufactured in 2011, with plenty of tread left. If it is down to tyre pressures where would they need to be ?
It's nice to know i'm not the only 'Z' nut on the planet

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Hi John welcome to the Forum, did we meet up Sunday at the Trolley bus museum?