Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTB / Advice - 96 Z3 1.9/4cyl Muff+Cat

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by BuffaloZ3, Nov 6, 2014.

1. BuffaloZ3

BuffaloZ3 Newbie
    American Zeds

My car was rice'fied and there is this welded PoS catalytic convertor + muffler show piece slapped on and its all welded on with chop-sticks and ghetto putty.

Needless to say we fixed all the electrical (thank EM MEH GEWD!).

I need to replace everything from what the mechanic tells me from the engine back - meaning, pipe->cat->resonator->muffler. The OEM part replacement seems to be 3x what I'm willing to pay - $2000. The original has problems in the cat + muffler itself rattles.

[engine]===pipe====[cat]=====resonator===[muffler]==

2 questions:

#1 - Found a salvage in Michigan, 1996 BMW Z3 -->Automatic<--, 1.9 natural asp.
    --- condition is "would like to sell my 96 BMW Z3. It has a 1.9 liter four cylinder engine with an automatic transmission. It was involved in a saltwater flood. The engine turns over fine and the computers have been replaced. It fires and stalls. It needs to have the key programmed to a new security computer. The interior is also rough. The dash is fine and all was working fine, but the seats and carpet are in poor condition. I would like to sell the whole car, although I might part it out"
    ---- question ----
    a. Worth buying the whole car just for the parts above, and just hock everything else to cover the cost??

b. What concerns should I have?

c. Will I have to worry about an automatic transmission part transfer to a 5-speed manual Z3?

#2. - If its a REALLY bad idea to go the above route ...
    a. What would someone recommend for a NYS legal direct fit, cat/res/muff/pipes non-OEM replacement?

b. ....

Looking for advice on the situation I'm dealing with