Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will cold crack the rear window?

Discussion in 'Z3 & Z3 M Roadster & Coupé Knowledgebase' started by Cooper, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Cooper

Cooper Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter Australian Zeds

Model of Z:
    3.0i 2001
    Hi,

Can someone please let me know if there is an element of risk in RAISING the roof when it is bitterly cold?

I know you can heat the rear window before LOWERING the roof to avoid the rear window cracking. However, after the window in stored away while driving it can become bitterly cold outside. So, will the window maintain heat, or actually get somewhat warmer when stowed, or will it get even colder in the stowed position? I cannot look at the window or judge the temp while it is stowed! :(

I really don't want to crack the window when raising it back up after a wonderful winter's drive! Thanks.

2. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    There is risk of splitting the screen generally in cold weather. Once the plastic becomes cold then flexing it could cause issues.

So far I've not had a screen spilt going up or down in really cold temperatures. But that could be more luck than anything.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. badman gee

badman gee Guest

I'd be very cautious in cold weather.

Raising or lowering the roof!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Cooper, are you having a laugh, should you not ask, does the window melt in hot temperatures, do you even know what snow is?

5. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive

Yes, he has spoken with oldcarman and read about it on here.......;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cooper

Cooper Zorg Guru (IV)
    Supporter Australian Zeds

Model of Z:
    3.0i 2001
    Haha. I used to live in Darwin and would not own a Zed there due to the extreme heat and constant rain 6 months of the year! I now live in New Norfolk Tasmania and I actually saw snow falling outside my front window 2 days ago! Google Mount Field National Park Australia and you will see what I can see from my house! :)

• Like Like x 1