WiFI Diagnostics

Z

zedonist

Since the death of my Windows PC, I have been looking for something to replace my diagnostics, but at the same time bring up to date on my IPAD, I have found this:

image.jpg

I have hooked it up to the App Rev2, which gives you engine diagnostics, real time data logging, plus track day mode etc early indications are good, data logging is impressive on the T5, will try the Z3 tomorrow as it is raining! But it diagnose the misfires from when I changed my injectors and cleared the codes, so diagnostics work.

I am also talking to a guy in Munich on a BMW specific app, early indications are good, and could have a Z3 apple/android solution for around £60 for diagnostics

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
That looks interesting keep us updated with the Z3 if it works might have a go myself with the iPad.

Z

zedonist

If you already have the BM technics cable, you only need an ELM327 WIFI dongle (£12 or cheaper) and download the app REV2 and you are good to go, like I said earlier it reads and clears codes on the Z3. Below is the quick telematic run on the T5
image.jpg

A bit garish in presentation, but you can then export all parameters out in csv file for your own data analysis in excel, just need to play a bit more with both vehicles now, but can see it as a good track day aid.

Z

zedonist

Well I've confirmed it works with Z3 for live telemetry:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Still plenty to play with and I've found a few more apps to have a play with, but certainly looks like a viable option for wifi / Bluetooth diagnostics and data logging, more to follow soon

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
This looks interesting indeed. I'm busy looking at getting diagnostics gear to check things like cam position sensors, vanos codes etc.
Looks like this can do all that.

Can you advise which cable it is you are using (my car is a 98 2.8 and had the big round plug in the engine bay like you have pictured). I think I can use the plug I have from my cheap airbag reset tool but need to check pin 15 is working on it.

Z

zedonist

I think my adapter came off an old B800 device, so may work, although I am pretty sure I also had one with BM Technics kit. You will need the round adapter,mad this is the only way to do engine diagnosis, as like me you may not have OBD2 fitted, and mine is a late 98.

If the codes are recorded by the engine ECU, then this will read it, I am also trialling EOBD-Facile and a paid copy of Fault Codes, which gives you the OEM description of the code in English and also what may be the cause to help in diagnosis.

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
....... I also had one with BM Technics kit. You will need the round adapter,mad this is the only way to do engine diagnosis, as like me you may not have OBD2 fitted, and mine is a late 98......
Following this with interest as I have the BM Technics kit running off a laptop which is well into old age and I have to consider alternatives. I am told the BMT.. adapter is wired differently to standard but confess I don't understand the technicalities

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Since the death of my Windows PC, I have been looking for something to replace my diagnostics, but at the same time bring up to date on my IPAD, I have found this:

View attachment 5000

I have hooked it up to the App Rev2, which gives you engine diagnostics, real time data logging, plus track day mode etc early indications are good, data logging is impressive on the T5, will try the Z3 tomorrow as it is raining! But it diagnose the misfires from when I changed my injectors and cleared the codes, so diagnostics work.

I am also talking to a guy in Munich on a BMW specific app, early indications are good, and could have a Z3 apple/android solution for around £60 for diagnostics
What's that about trackday mode?
What does it do/show?

Koen

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
I have been using a tool from lemurmonitors.com on the truck. i hadn't realised that it would probably work on the z with a converter so will get one ordered and test it out :)

Z

zedonist

What's that about trackday mode?
What does it do/show?

Koen
It will monitor the parameters you set during the track run, using GPS it will map the lap with google maps and an overlay of your run, showing braking and acceleration forces as green and red around the track, through the OBD you can monitor all engine parameters including air intake temps etc, download the free version of REV2 for a look.

As you can then get the data out in a CSV file you can then see exactly what your car was doing at a specific point in time or place on the track. For me, i will not use this function much, but I will use the gauges function which is similar and allows you to log data while driving.

Hope it helps koen, for £40 for full software and ELM327 wifi adapter (ipad / iPhone) or ELM327 Bluetooth adapter (android)

I am only testing on ipad, so will not be able to comment on android use

Z

zedonist

I have been using a tool from lemurmonitors.com on the truck. i hadn't realised that it would probably work on the z with a converter so will get one ordered and test it out :)
Hi James, thanks for the link, I have just downloaded BlueDriver, so will see if it works on the Z3 in a short while and report back

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
maybe worth noting I tried a few of those off ebay before getting the Lemur version and none of them would work so cheap copies aren't worth it

Z

zedonist

Was that with the lemur software? Having looked at the software it says it is Bluetooth, now the Bluetooth protocol on ipad / iPhone does not interact with a Bluetooth Elm327 correctly, and you need to use a wifi version of the Elm327, I bought mine for £12 and has worked with every piece of software so far, but I have a feeling it won't work with the lemur as it has no settings, only a buy button for their adapter.

I am just going out to evaluate it now, and some software called Nova Scan, feed back in a while

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
It will monitor the parameters you set during the track run, using GPS it will map the lap with google maps and an overlay of your run, showing braking and acceleration forces as green and red around the track, through the OBD you can monitor all engine parameters including air intake temps etc, download the free version of REV2 for a look.

As you can then get the data out in a CSV file you can then see exactly what your car was doing at a specific point in time or place on the track. For me, i will not use this function much, but I will use the gauges function which is similar and allows you to log data while driving.

Hope it helps koen, for £40 for full software and ELM327 wifi adapter (ipad / iPhone) or ELM327 Bluetooth adapter (android)

I am only testing on ipad, so will not be able to comment on android use
That could be helpfull on trackdays.
Don't seem to find REV2 on android, and a lot of car diag tools for elm327...can you give the name of the developer?

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
my samsung phone and my TAB3, don't have anything on devtoaster (looked REV too, nothing) :-s

Z

zedonist

Sorry Koen, I did mention earlier I am testing on IPad / iPhone these apps are only for apple. There are a number of OBD apps in google store, but I can't test these and you would need the Bluetooth version of ELM327

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Sorry Koen, I did mention earlier I am testing on IPad / iPhone these apps are only for apple. There are a number of OBD apps in google store, but I can't test these and you would need the Bluetooth version of ELM327
It was the recording of ODBII values linked to a lap that would be nice (didn't see that in other apps yet and that did work).
It would be good to see entering speed to a corner and then checking the result of it, etc. Just to improve lines and driving styles and getting the best lap times in the end.

Z

zedonist

Yes it is a shame because Rev will give you that information.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
ELM327 WIFI dongle ordered, will have a play with this on the 6th May at Cadwell :)