Does the number plate end in WEE ?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I was worried after looking at the first picture, I thought the dog was in for it ..................

Tony.

Davyhoogy

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
'98 2.8 z3
Possibly seized motor :(
When trying to bump start it, getting up to a decent speed, drop the clutch in 2nd or 3rd and rear wheels lock up instantly.
I also can't turn the crank from the front albeit I've only tried with a regular spanner, I will try again with a breaker bar next weekend.
I think the car has been stood for 1-2 years. Wondering if there had maybe been a head gasket leak and it's seized with the water in there. The spark plugsare pretty rusty.

Any tips to check the motor? I could strip the top end to see the condition of the bores/pistons. If they are ok I won't have any idea how to put it back together. If it's rusted then I won't need to =))

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
I had a degree of success with an old motorbike that was seized once. I took the head off and used a piece of 2" x 2" chunk of wood as a drift and clouted the centre of each piston. In my case the piston rings had seized to the cylinder but surprisingly once free the cylinders cleaned up ok. I was lucky, I didn't need to strip the engine to fit new rings.

You could squirt some oil through each plug hole and leave it to soak. A litre or two of diesel would do it too. Once it's soaked through you could try and bump it again before you decide to strip the head off.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That's defo worth a try Davy. Remove the plugs and fill the bores with diesel and leave it for a good while. Then try "rocking" the crank from the pulley bolt using a 30" cracking bar.

Tony.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
You can just stick a camera down the spark plug holes. They are cheap enough. Look for endoscope.

I'm not sure I rate your chances much though if the bores are rusted up. But better than if the bottom end is seized.

The head gasket set alone means taking the head off is an expensive job. You're looking at £150-£250 depending on quality.

Realistically I think you'd be better off dropping a replacement engine in if it is knackered. Thankfully not as complicated as it sounds. The main fight is usually dealing with the exhaust.

D R Oldfield

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I know it a long shot but take the fan belt of I once had a ford serra that gave the impression it was seized and would not turn over and found the alternate had sized solid and some body had tightened the fan belt up so much that it would not turn over

Davyhoogy

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
'98 2.8 z3
You can just stick a camera down the spark plug holes. They are cheap enough. Look for endoscope.

I'm not sure I rate your chances much though if the bores are rusted up. But better than if the bottom end is seized.

The head gasket set alone means taking the head off is an expensive job. You're looking at £150-£250 depending on quality.

Realistically I think you'd be better off dropping a replacement engine in if it is knackered. Thankfully not as complicated as it sounds. The main fight is usually dealing with the exhaust.
There will definately not be a new engine going in lol. I've been given permission to have all day Saturday to mess with it. No interruptions except for cups of tea from Mrs! Yay

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
There will definately not be a new engine going in lol. I've been given permission to have all day Saturday to mess with it. No interruptions except for cups of tea from Mrs! Yay
Yet you’d consider taking the head off? More time consuming and prone to error? And potentially as expensive?

And with what aim? To discover the head gasket is gone? And a cylinder is seized? If so you’re back to a replacement engine being a better route :(

I’d honestly look around for more evidence first. Have you checked for error codes? Did it throw an error before going kaput in flight? Looked at the sump to see if anything has been punched out from there? What condition is the oil in?

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 M44 Roadster Z3 2.8 Project

Lucky for you that I am at the other end of the country, or you would have had a nosey old bugger looking over your shoulder all day, and getting in your way!!! =))

Davyhoogy

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
'98 2.8 z3
Yet you’d consider taking the head off? More time consuming and prone to error? And potentially as expensive?

And with what aim? To discover the head gasket is gone? And a cylinder is seized? If so you’re back to a replacement engine being a better route :(

I’d honestly look around for more evidence first. Have you checked for error codes? Did it throw an error before going kaput in flight? Looked at the sump to see if anything has been punched out from there? What condition is the oil in?
The car was bought in this condition with the hope of it being a not too complex fix. Something for me to learn from and get it back on the road and sell. I won't be putting money into it, if the engine is knackered I'll just part the car out.
Yeah I'll be looking about for other things first I just don't have enough spare time to do it all in one go.
The oil looks clear on the dipstick. PO probably done a few little bits to try getting it to run before selling it.

Davyhoogy

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
'98 2.8 z3
Lucky for you that I am at the other end of the country, or you would have had a nosey old b***** looking over your shoulder all day, and getting in your way!!! =))
Orrrr you can do all the work and I'll look over yours :ymdevil: