Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

water level mark

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by robertjones, Sep 22, 2014.

1. robertjones

robertjones Regular Member

on my z , the header tank has no mark to show the level for topping up, can anyone tell me what level i should top up to?, the handbook shows the mark about halfway down the tank, i intend to mark it , notice that the tank has a series of serated marks , would i be right in marking tank half way down the serrations ie about 10 marks down? thanks for any suggestion,

2. upstream

upstream Regular Member
    The M44 Massive

Hi,
    Firstly I should start by saying that I'm a newbie so take whatever I say with a pinch of salt ;-)

When I first picked up my Z about a month ago, I noticed that the coolant seemed to be about half way down the expansion tank. When I got home I thought that I should perhaps top it up. After letting everything cool down for a while I topped it up to the top of the serrations. When I went out for a quick drive and came back there was a little coolant in the undertray and I thought that there must be a leak as the coolant level had dropped to about the 5th serration.

Anyway - to cut a long story short, I decided not to top up again but to keep an eye on it. I haven't seen any more coolant loss and it has been sitting for weeks now at about the 5th or 6th serration. This being the case I'd conclude that this is probably the correct level and that my topping up (overfilling it) was responsible for the leak.

Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be around shortly though to confirm (or not as the case may be).

• Like Like x 1
  3. bonzo

bonzo Guest

Good evening Robert. On Zelda there is one mark at the back of the header tank marked W/L. Could be different on other variants.

Best wishes,

Bonzo

4. jonco

jonco Zorg Guru (III)
    Supporter British Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    '98 1.9 Auto
    Don't know which model you have but if you have the rad with side expansion tank then it is the midway point when cold.
    This is the best picture I can find at the moment (lifted from a how to change thread on a M44). Mid point is longer mark, 10 from either end on top edge.It is straightforward. HTH
    sdc10519o[1].jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend
    Supporter The M44 Massive

cool, must get me one of those new fangled measuring bricks :)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. robertjones

thanks for that, as i said , mine had the mark missing for some reason, had counted the marks and just needed confirmation.

• Like Like x 1
  7. robertjones

havent you got one in your tool tray!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter Canadian Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    If not, I sell sets of four, 1/4,1/2,3/4, and full with extensions available extra. Brick set £3+ £200 postage. Special for .org members only. JIM

Sorry, forgot to mention. Also available in metric, please state choice when ordering. Only presently available in gray with new colours coming this winter!!

#8 oldcarman, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. t-tony

t-tony Zorg Expert (I)
    Supporter British Zeds #ZedShed

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 Auto
    What colour Jim?, White?:)
    You'll never find them.:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. oldcarman

oldcarman Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter Canadian Zeds The M44 Massive

Model of Z:
    1.9 M44
    I have contacted a supplier that says he can supply almost any colour a customer wants. Samples are in the mail, hopefully they get here before the snow. Did you have a particular favorite to match your tool box? I will of course absorb the additional cost of the colours for .org members and I don't expect them to weigh any more than gray. For a refundable cost, with sale, I will soon start to send out samples by request for only, yes that's only, £100. So be the first in line as supplies are limited. JIM

11. vintage42

vintage42 Dedicated Member
    American Zeds

My tank has a lot of short serrations. But it also has a long serration with Kalt and Cold on it. The coolant should be there when the engine is cold.

• Agree Agree x 2