Warning lights have come on!

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Guys I have two warning lights that have come on and do not want to go off on their own. :(

They are the anti skid/tcs whatever it is and what I take to be the ABS they both came on together and now do not want to go out. They did come on a few months ago and it went out I thought it might have been that the weather was wet and a damp connection somewhere especially as they went out.

1) Does anyone have a good idea where to start looking?
2) how much of a problem is it for me to continue to drive it like it?
3) will I cause damage if I do drive it like it?

Regards

Z

zedonist

Dirty wheel sensors, sometimes a quick blast with a hose pipe can clear them, or its wheels off, if the lights do not go off after this then it points to a fautly sensor or other ABS problem, either way, it needs addressing, snow is on the way.......................

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
zedonist said:
Dirty wheel sensors, sometimes a quick blast with a hose pipe can clear them, or its wheels off, if the lights do not go off after this then it points to a fautly sensor or other ABS problem, either way, it needs addressing, snow is on the way.......................
so am I best to try each wheel and remove the wheel and then power wash the whole thing to get things clean?

Sounds a great things to try and hope.

WRT snow not this weekend surly Elan Valley cruise.........

Z

zedonist

Just try the power wash first, I had this happen in the summer, looked on .net knowledge base, which suggested cleaning first, it worked for me

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Duncan

While the lights are on, you have no traction control or ABS so be careful ;)

I've had this off and on with my Z3 for as long as I had the car (mainly on). I tried cleaning the wheel speed sensors on the car, but made no difference. Changed both sensors on the rear and finally extinguished the lights!

Ideally you need to get it connected to a code reader which covers these parts (main dealer, or possibly independent garage)

BTW - if you need to change the rears BMW want £70-£80 each, but Garythefish recommended these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170675735530 @ £13 each. Slightly longer cable, so needed to loop them with a cable tie. Fronts are readily available after market and pretty cheap.

That is all I know on the subject!

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
traction control loss and Abs was my guess so I have swapped insurance to Black for this weekends élan valley cruise. first justification of my buying two. LOL (god that sounds cheeky) am I trying to justify it to myself but I have to admit I do like the buzz.

I nearly just bought the rear sensors but I think I would be best to get it read and I think I know someone who might be able to point me to a reader. If I can find/get one I shall post information on it.

I will let folks know what I find.

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Just a partial update! Managed to remove the rear sensors and clean them up ! The meter showed what I thought was healthy resistance. Fronts also measured healthy but could not remove them without damage so bought new ones off eBay Which arrived this weekend. Lights still on and off after the work done so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Thought it was about time I updated this thread! I replaced the front two sensors just before Zedfest and it made no difference so I bit the bullet and got in my friendly auto electrician to read off the codes for me and also let me know what he thought about another problem I will post about separately anyway he traced the ABS/ASC problem to the actual ABS unit the pump was not responding.

I checked the price with my BMWCCGB discount with the local dealer and he went away to look it up and came back ever so quick and said he didn't bother pricing it as he already knows me and it could be one of four and they start at FOUR figures and go up from their. I duly went for a search on the Internet and found two companies that refurbish them and sent it off to the one in Bournemouth who said if it was just the pump or something simple it would be £54 in the end it had overloaded the logic board so it ran out at £227 incl VAT and delivery. Just waiting for Blue to come back now as a friend is refitting the unit as he has a ramp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
You found it then ;)

Interesting to know there are places out there that can repair these considerably less than buying a new unit. I have also read somewhere the ABS units can suffer from dry joints on the circuit board too which is an easy repair if yu are prepared to tackle it yourself but I guess in your case Duncan it was a little bit more involved.

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Aceman said:
You found it then ;)

Interesting to know there are places out there that can repair these considerably less than buying a new unit. I have also read somewhere the ABS units can suffer from dry joints on the circuit board too which is an easy repair if yu are prepared to tackle it yourself but I guess in your case Duncan it was a little bit more involved.
Yes, the pump had actually physically seized and as a result overloaded some components, but all done now thankfully

SeaSurfer

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
2.2 Sport Z3 Auto
Hi Duncan, great news you are sorted, in the new mot's the abs warning light on is a failure whatever the cause is, so at least you know it should be ok now.

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
SeaSurfer said:
Hi Duncan, great news you are sorted, in the new mot's the abs warning light on is a failure whatever the cause is, so at least you know it should be ok now.
Because the MOT is due is what got my friend off his derrière to get the answers and get it fixed. That is the trouble when you are waiting on friends to do stuff for you. That is why I took Black for the track to another guy today to get the springs done. they will be done by tonight instead of waiting another 3 months.

But hey ho.

at least with luck I shall be able to take both to Gaydon this time.