Vanos solenoid and check valves.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Just as a matter of interest I checked my Vanos solenoids and non return valves yesterday as the weather warmed up a little and it stopped raining for a couple of hrs.
After getting an accelerator flat spot and idle surge I looked on the internet for advice and was amazed at what could be causing it ie Vanos,maf,Disa etc. Out with my Delphi scanner and only fault was maf 2D06 to my relief. Carb cleaner and job done 20mins later I was bored so decided to have a look at the Vanos solenoids as I had already purchased them a week earlier. This was a very fiddly job indeed and thanked god for giving me small hands as even with the rad top cover removed there was barely room to get them out. They were absolutely pristine looking but changed them anyway for peace of mind. Now looking at the area where the check valves are situated I was thinking I should be able to get to them without removing the wheel and inner arch cover. So armed myself with extending lighted mirror and T40 taped onto a 3/8extension bar I found removing the washer bottle gave me more room. Bit of a struggle locating the T40 into the check valve as never really used mirror for much in the past, can’t believe how my reactions were completely off target upside down wrong way round right instead of left etc. After half 1/2 hr I was getting the feel of it but it wasn’t easy. Valves were like new so carb cleaner used just to make sure. Here’s a pic of both vales and solenoids just as they came out. Looks like I could have used my time better but at least I now know they should be ok for a while. No check engine light now but needs a run out.
B1B55CF2-6DE0-45E6-95BE-72BF1E8DC9E7.jpeg
b
Think I can safely assume that if they’ve been in for any length of time the oils been changed frequently on this Z4coupe e86 n52 I know previous owner @Lee done a lot of preventative maintenance which makes me feel I should maybe just leave it alone. Anyway it’s always good have a look see, makes for more confidence in a motor. No???
(Love this car even when the suns out.)

RHA,ROY.

Last edited:

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Nice. I did just this about 5 years ago :)

Has your flat spot gone ?

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
Nice. I did just this about 5 years ago :)

Has your flat spot gone ?
Yep no trace of hesitation at all Lee, just done 30mls and if anything the coupe is even more sensitive on the loud peddle. (and no I didn't have it in sport :)).Nearly kangaroo'd it twice.Picks up better in 6th, definite slight improvement. Needle doesn't waver on tickover. Was it the MAF or the vanos solenoids/check valves.????
Who cares it's going great.=))

Roy;)

PS; Couldn't wish for a better Christmas present.:thumbsup: Oh Oh the wife's just seen this so of course her present of a front and rear dash cam fitted at Halfords is obviously the best.=)).

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Ready a decent road test mid to late Jan. 2020?;)

Tony.