Value of My CAT N 97 2.8i

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Evening

It's a topic I never thought I'd want to discuss. I never had any thoughts of selling it but my head has been turning towards an E86. There has been a few come up and I don't think I have room for both.

It would be very difficult to part with my Z3. It's been a journey.

Some of you will know my car, some will have seen it in the flesh or read about it in the progress threads.

Last November I binned it in the wet. To be honest, I got away with it all things considered.

Mechanically is a very good car and still drives nicely.

Good Bits:

- Fully Powercoated Rear End Refurb
- New Bilstein/Eibach Suspension all round
- Fully rebushed front to back
- Cooling system refreshed
- Sport Seats Original
- Harmon Kardon - Original
- Roll Hoops
- Hard Top
- BBS Style 42 with deep dish 17x9j rears (hens teeth) set of 6 wheels with 7.5j and 8.5j
- Genuine Z3M clear lights front and back

Spare parts:

X2 Facelift sport seats in Black (very nice)
X2 Sport Door Cards
Chrome Door Handles (heavy type)
Facelift Convertible hood in really good condition.
X2 Sills - Very nice condition (silver)

Bad bits:

- CAT N title
- Needs a new bonnet
- Underside damage
- Poor Paint and Body Work in General which needs decent amount of work
- Little bit of rear arch bubble rust
- Oil Leak but not horrendous. (would come with all parts for the job.)

It's probably a really good car for stripping for parts but I'm not sure I could bring myself to do it.

Thoughts welcome.

Stevie

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
Sounds like it's worth more in parts TBH.
I would be interested in the roof and suspension, if it is Eibach lowering springs.

Jam03

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
Without thinking about it carefully, my gut feel is that you could get another 2.8 with a major issue but clean title and transfer the good bits from yours. Obviously a major project only worth doing if you really want a nice 2.8. Otherwise selling off hard top, wheels and a few other parts will probably get you more than the car alone.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Still a few more things to consider, mileage plays a big part in considering the price of a zed.

Rule of thumb is knock a third off the normal price.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E 89 Z4 S drive 23i
Like others have said, no matter what we think, mileage is all important to Joe Public and you don't mention that. As a 'Car for sale' it's just not worth much with the cat N and poor body, but you have a lot of value in parts. That's the reality and I understand your attachment to it and the time and effort you invested in it, but I think you may have to step back and decide if you want as much as possible from the sale or you would rather just let it go as a complete car. Could be lucky and find somebody wanting a project or donor car, good luck whatever you do.

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
Sounds like a nice donor for a rebody.
Really? I know it happens, but spending thousands doing a 'rebody' on a 'CAT' car is financial suicide IMO.

If you start with a dog, it can only ever be a dog in a different frock, surely?

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
The wheels alone are worth £800+
I will bet they are not. Have you seen what second hand wheels sell for these days? It's pennies.
I have a staggered set of style 18s for sale soon. I will be lucky to get £150 for the set with decent tyres on.

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
I will bet they are not. Have you seen what second hand wheels sell for these days? It's pennies.
I have a staggered set of style 18s for sale soon. I will be lucky to get £150 for the set with decent tyres on.
Won't even be able to find a set of these. I'll bet they are.

spurs fan in a coupe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Now I want to know what they are. You tease! ;)
He says in the advert

- BBS Style 42 with deep dish 17x9j rears (hens teeth) set of 6 wheels with 7.5j and 8.5j

a set of 4 of these in good condition will go for £600-900, A set of 6 would probably hit £1100

sold as single wheels probably even more

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Really? I know it happens, but spending thousands doing a 'rebody' on a 'CAT' car is financial suicide IMO.

If you start with a dog, it can only ever be a dog in a different frock, surely?
I suppose you're doing your rebody as an investment with intention of selling for a profit.

I'd happily use a cat N as a donor. I'm not alone. Many people understand that with a 25 year old car it doesn't take much to be a cat N. Cost to repair just a couple of scratches can exceed the value of the car making it a cat n write off.

as400

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
2.8 Widebody

Couldn't help it

1723828065364.png

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
I suppose you're doing your rebody as an investment with intention of selling for a profit.
No, not really. I just don't see the point in spending thousands of pounds and many, many hours making a 'less than desirable' car look better.
At the end of the day whatever you do to it, and however much it costs, it can only be as good as the Z3 underneath all the 'show'.

And if that is a 'CAT' car, to me it was done on the cheap (people ONLY buy CAT cars cos they're cheap) so could be hiding lots of other issues.

I will admit I have one eye on the value of the car when finished. I don't like wasting thousands of pounds; call me old fashioned.

graeme cook

If a car is relatively new and then registered as certain category it can be a big deal and expensive. But cars of this age and mileage I personally don't think it matters that much . Unless you have had your car since new I will guarantee its had at least 1 or 2 panels painted at least .
condition now is the main thing.