Unwanted swimming pool SOS

Billium

Hi there,

My fairer half is the proud owner of a '97, 2.8, auto Z3. She had a new roof fitted in 2021, which is great, but it didn't stop our watery woes. I think the door and roof seals are either spent or in need of serious rejuvenation. I've read a bit about a product sold by BMW which can reinvigorate the seals but to cut to the chase, I am wondering if there are any Z3 gurus near us that would be willing to cast their eye over the car before I embark on any fixes? We have a bouncing 7 month old baby, the car lives outside and the seasons are racing on. I don't want the old girl being this leaky across another winter (the car, not the beautiful mother of our child :))

I know that most folk will have had to do this fix at some point so thought I would reach out to any kind souls in the GU postcode that would be willing to advise in exchange for chocolate, beer or wine?

Thanks for you time,

Bill.

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
If the car lives outside and you have leaking problems, the quickest answer would be a half cover there are several on E bay. It can take time to find the source of the leaks. The seals usually respond well to Gummi-pflegge, I treat mine once or twice a year. Whereabouts do you live, I am in Camberley.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
A roof cover is the answer if it lives outside. Where is GU postcode?

Tony.

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
The following info will give you some pointers but as others have said get a cover on asap otherwise the you will need to strip the interior out to dry out the carpet as the sponge underneath will hold a lot of water.

View: https://youtu.be/3_liUY2FET8

There are other titbits if you do a search but the main culprits are treating rubbers, adjusting side windows, debrie under the window scuttle panel, the A pillar, at the rear where the hardtop placement goes there’s a little receptacle that has a drainage hole that gets blocked and the rear seal deteriorating.

Billium

If the car lives outside and you have leaking problems, the quickest answer would be a half cover there are several on E bay. It can take time to find the source of the leaks. The seals usually respond well to Gummi-pflegge, I treat mine once or twice a year. Whereabouts do you live, I am in Camberley.

Hi mwpe,

Other half has a stormforce but it was off at the time of the recent heavy rain, a bit of a boo boo on our part. The car was parked on a slight incline too, which seemed to increase the water ingress. I've taken the cover off before and found the car a little steamy so have never been convinced the cover is fully waterproof. Equally likely to be existing water in the car trying to get out, no doubt. Are 1/2 covers better for breathability? The stromforce one is a full cover which can turn into a bit of a large parachute in high winds.

I see there are various brands selling Gummi-Pflegge. Can you recommend any tried and tested?

We're between Farnham and Bordon, Headley area.

Billium

The following info will give you some pointers but as others have said get a cover on asap otherwise the you will need to strip the interior out to dry out the carpet as the sponge underneath will hold a lot of water.

There are other titbits if you do a search but the main culprits are treating rubbers, adjusting side windows, debrie under the window scuttle panel, the A pillar, at the rear where the hardtop placement goes there’s a little receptacle that has a drainage hole that gets blocked and the rear seal deteriorating.
Hi Althulas,

Thanks that's all good information. I'll research these suggestions once I've treated with the gummi-pflegge, if we're still porous.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Hi mwpe,

Other half has a stormforce but it was off at the time of the recent heavy rain, a bit of a boo boo on our part. The car was parked on a slight incline too, which seemed to increase the water ingress. I've taken the cover off before and found the car a little steamy so have never been convinced the cover is fully waterproof. Equally likely to be existing water in the car trying to get out, no doubt. Are 1/2 covers better for breathability? The stromforce one is a full cover which can turn into a bit of a large parachute in high winds.

I see there are various brands selling Gummi-Pflegge. Can you recommend any tried and tested?

German company WURTH sell a product which does what the Gummi product does at a lower cost. I paid around £10. Rubber seals appear much more puffed up .

Tony.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
My biggest leak was not the roof.

Just by the wiper arms is the air intake for the heater/blower. Water does, obviously, get in there but there's a kind if water trap with two drain pipes going down into the engine bay/bulkhead. The pipes have a narrow rubber end ends, over time, dust and grime builds up blocking the drain pipe. When the drain is blocked the water heater duct fills with water and eventually over flows into the cabin. If the drains are blocked it allows a LOT of water into the cabin.

Gently spray some water into the heater intake. It should come out through those drain pipes on the bulk head. Feel at the back of the center console for drips from the heater.

Next thing is the side windows. The rubber strip along the top of the door is very old, dry and full of muck so rain water runs into the door. That shouldn't be a problem. Door has efficient drain holes and most water will reach the bottom of the door and out through the drain holes. But behind the door card is a foam seal sheet and some of the water drips down the inside of that. That also sbouldn't be a problem but if somebody has done any work inside the door and didn't reseal the foam then water will run down and come into the cabin.

With the door open pour water down the glass. Water should come out of the drain holes at the very bottom of the door. It should NOT drip out at the bottom of the door card.

As for the roof. There's threads on the forum discussing the best way to prepare that for winter.

Last edited:

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Hi mwpe,

I see you have had some good suggestions so far, the stormforce cover is good but a cover keeps water in as well as out. One problem is that the soundproofing under the carpets is like a massive sponge and is a huge job to get out to dry. If you can stop more getting in it will help.
A common source of leaks is the top of the A pillar, there are many write us and videos on this, here is an example,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHBZxYYFqQE
I would try the gummi pflege first. Gummi pflege is German for rubber care. I have the one which @colb recommended.

I wouldn't mind having a look if you like.

Billium

Blimey, what a really helpful collection of Z enthusiasts. Thanks so much for all your input so far. I'm getting my head around the task ahead. We're dancing around the different options, selling it (Can't face being responsible for a good car turning bad) or building a lean to and getting the car dry.

It strikes me the only real way to get the carpet and under sponge dry is to remove it. How long does this job typically take for someone who's capable but has not done it before on a Z3?

On further inspection, in the boot there's a little bit getting it there too. I'm guessing that all the typical spots need addressing. Slightly overwhelming.

Billium

My biggest leak was not the roof.

Just by the wiper arms is the air intake for the heater/blower. Water does, obviously, get in there but there's a kind if water trap with two drain pipes going down into the engine bay/bulkhead. The pipes have a narrow rubber end ends, over time, dust and grime builds up blocking the drain pipe. When the drain is blocked the water heater duct fills with water and eventually over flows into the cabin. If the drains are blocked it allows a LOT of water into the cabin.

Gently spray some water into the heater intake. It should come out through those drain pipes on the bulk head. Feel at the back of the center console for drips from the heater.

Next thing is the side windows. The rubber strip along the top of the door is very old, dry and full of muck so rain water runs into the door. That shouldn't be a problem. Door has efficient drain holes and most water will reach the bottom of the door and out through the drain holes. But behind the door card is a foam seal sheet and some of the water drips down the inside of that. That also sbouldn't be a problem but if somebody has done any work inside the door and didn't reseal the foam then water will run down and come into the cabin.

With the door open pour water down the glass. Water should come out of the drain holes at the very bottom of the door. It should NOT drip out at the bottom of the door card.

As for the roof. There's threads on the forum discussing the best way to prepare that for winter.
Thanks for the clear instructions Duncodin. I will run all these tests.

I've been a passenger in the car whilst driving along a dual carriageway in heavy rain. I noticed water running down the carpet in the footwell so it sounds like the two drain pipes could well be blocked. Interestingly, the water this time is almost all on the drivers side, as far as I can tell. The car has been stationary mind.

Billium

I see you have had some good suggestions so far, the stormforce cover is good but a cover keeps water in as well as out. One problem is that the soundproofing under the carpets is like a massive sponge and is a huge job to get out to dry. If you can stop more getting in it will help.
A common source of leaks is the top of the A pillar, there are many write us and videos on this, here is an example,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHBZxYYFqQE
I would try the gummi pflege first. Gummi pflege is German for rubber care. I have the one which @colb recommended.

I wouldn't mind having a look if you like.
Cheers that sounds good. Battery on charge currently.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You need to check the left hand rear corner of the boot too. If it's getting there it can do some damage. Usual boot leaks are 3rd brake light gasket, rear light gaskets, aerial grommet and rear hood seal around the rear of the tub.

Tony.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
Thanks for the clear instructions Duncodin. I will run all these tests.

I've been a passenger in the car whilst driving along a dual carriageway in heavy rain. I noticed water running down the carpet in the footwell so it sounds like the two drain pipes could well be blocked. Interestingly, the water this time is almost all on the drivers side, as far as I can tell. The car has been stationary mind.
In my case I removed all the plastc trim around the wiper arms to get at the heater air intake/water trap. Only then did I notice the drain pipes down the front of the bulkhead. They're visible in the engine bay at the back either side of the engine. I'd already cleaned mine and put them back in but, in hind sight, I may have been able to just squeeze and bend the rubber tube from within the engine bay to loosen the muck without stripping out all the trim from the top. But mine is a 1.9 (4 cyl). Might not be as easy to get at via the engine bay in a 6cyl.

Swordtwo

Thank you!

jaguartvr

Zorg Guru (I)
Old post but this might help someone.

There is a channel that runs around the inside of the roof that is bolted between the rear of the roof and the cars bodywork, This channel takes all of the water that runs down the back and sides of the roof and drains it into a small tray either side of the car where the roof higesare fitted. This tray has drain that allows the water to drain out, it is hidden by the rear wing but water can be seen draining out over the sill. This drain can become blocked, then the tray will overflow dumping the water in either floorpan. You can check the drain by filling the tray with water and seeing if it drains out, if not then a thin rod should clear it.
The other problem id that the small tray has a grommet on either side, the grommet can be removed so access to the roof hinge mounting nut can be reached with a socket. If the roof has been replaced you may find that the grommet hasn't been replaced, if not water will flow through this access hole before it has had a chance top drain through the drain tube.
2 simple things you can check easily although you have to be a contortionist to get a good look at it.