Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters

gookah

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
So many people have different opinions and experience on what is the cause of tramlining.
However, this poll is not for what people think might fix it, but for those that have actually improved or cured it, and what they did that made the most difference.
Hopefully by 'asking the audience' there will be a list of improvements in order of things to do first.

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
I know this is going to sound strange but I'm really not too sure what tramlining feels like.

Despite all my projects I've only ever done any decent mileage in 2 Z3s and never experienced any handling problems. In fact my 2.2 feels like it's on rails but rails where I want and not where the car wants. I do tend to pootle and at best drive in a spirited fashion. Does this only happen when pushing the car hard?

Bumpa

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3, 2.2 litre Sport
I'm really not too sure what tramlining feels like.
It's very obvious on my car even at low speed. In fact it's more noticeable at low speed when the car seems to fight against the steering wheel input and wants to go in a different direction to the one I've chosen. It is an unpleasant sensation but in no way is the car out of control. I hope to find time to fit the "lollipop" poly bushes soon and then I can report on whether they have cured it.

On my car it could be tyres as I have a Bridgestone on one front wheel and a Firestone on the other. The trouble is the tyres are hardly worn so the miser in me doesn't want to change them unnecessarily. The poly bushes are cheap enough and easy to fit so I'll give that a go. The original bushes on the car look definitely suspect and the sensation I get is that the wheels are not properly controlled.

We'll have to wait and see.

BMBabe

Zorg Expert (I)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
My Panther is terrible for this - awaiting for @Mnbrennan to tackle the issue soon :thumbsup:

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
I've never had a problem in the M before the suspension was done or after, but my 2.8 was a pig for it even after a total suspension replacement and all the front bushes done, new set of Pilots sports totally cured it.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
I've never had a problem in the M before the suspension was done or after, but my 2.8 was a pig for it even after a total suspension replacement and all the front bushes done, new set of Pilots sports totally cured it.
New set of Pilots for me too. Wasn't bad before but had a habit of catching you unawares.
Got a stretch of road that would always cause the car to tramline. It's fine now.
It was white lines that caused it most. I think the tread pattern has a great influence but just one of many causes.

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
I know this is going to sound strange but I'm really not too sure what tramlining feels like.
One of my past Z3's did it badly, you certainly would have noticed it.

Annoying at low speeds, very frightening at higher speeds.

The car had only done 36,000 miles so I didn't suspect bushes, new tyres cured it completely.

Mnbrennan

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
BMW M Coupe / 2.8 roadster
Post deleted. Got told off.

Last edited:

gookah

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
Never had this on coupes, however it does happen with roadsters.

In my mind it's to do with the flex in the chassis coupled with tired suspension (including control arms and bushes). If you think that a small deviation in suspension or bushes, amplified by a flexible chassis, will cause the steering wheel to pull. Only way to sort it is with fresh suspension.
So opinion only, and not experience of a cure/improvement, besides, so far the overwhelming poll result says the cure has NOT been suspension but tyres.

I purposely made this thread to get away from opinions, and to enable people to buy based on others experience
This thread is not for opinions, as stated in first post.
Otherwise people will be paying for things that other people 'think' will cure it.

Now consider yourself told off and let this be a lesson to others.....:poke: =)) ;)

brilie

Zorg Guru (IV)
Model of Z
2.8 roadster
Very simple cure on mine, which tramlined on anything!
Two new tyres on front.......differenct car ,I was amazed
At the difference two tyres made.
Cannot see why people try everything but?

brilie

Zorg Guru (IV)
Model of Z
2.8 roadster
May I also say that if peeps have put on a complete set
Of tyres they will be unaware what two front tyres achieve!

Tfp

Zorg Legend
Supporter
May I also say that if peeps have put on a complete set
Of tyres they will be unaware what two front tyres achieve!
I put two new ones on the rear to begin with as they were well worn.

Made the car worse, didn't try putting them to the front, I just fitted new to the front also.

So it's handy to know someone has rectified it with front tyres only.

ZimZimmer

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I have this issue....
Problem is I also have 4 odd tyres and I suspect I need a full set of new bushes, need new rear springs and probably a new set of dampers as mine has 125k and the only things I know for sure have been changed are front springs.
So, everything needs changing!
Just have to work out what order to change them all.
Finances will probably decided that tho.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Changed the shocks and springs although put shocks on the poll as it only allows one choice.
Mine suffered badly from tramlining, it's not a 100% improvement but has made a big difference for sure. New set of tyres and rear axle bushes are in the pipe line so I'll come back here when its done with any changes it's made to improve things further.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
I just happened to need 4 tyres on a new set of wheels. Its almost always going to be the front that affect or prevent tramlining.

I really don't like having different tyres on the same axle. You never know how different construction, rubber type and tread pattern can upset the handling and braking performance especially at the limit or under extreme stress. It's a recipe for swapping ends. You're only going to find inconsistencies when you're on the wrong side of the performance envelope :bag:

gookah

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
Changed the shocks and springs although put shocks on the poll as it only allows one choice.
Mine suffered badly from tramlining, it's not a 100% improvement but has made a big difference for sure. New set of tyres and rear axle bushes are in the pipe line so I'll come back here when its done with any changes it's made to improve things further.
I tried to account for that by having 'new suspension complete'

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
I have never suffered from tramlining, I have always replaced the tyres with the OEM Dunlops which were on the car when I bought it 95,000 miles ago. New shocks all round last year, apart from that nothing.