Thoughts on car covers?

PKRS

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
4 2.5i
I assume some of you have car covers for your Z's.
The recent showers (nay hail/thunderstorms) have made me think about an outdoor full cover and maybe also a top cover for daily summer use.

I just wondered what you guys use and do you think they are worth the trouble and possible paint damage?
I have tried and they failed in so many areas, not worth the hassle

Jam03

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
My car lives outside and doesn’t really like rain, so as soon as I got it, I bought a Custom Covers half cover, which is left a the car almost all the time. I have generally been happy with it, but after nearly a year, it has shrunk a little, one of the Velcro straps that fits round the mirrors has broken off, and it has become quite stiff, to the point where it’s not possible to fold it up to take with in the boot easily.
The good bits:
  • It’s heavy duty, so doesn’t flap around in the wind.
  • It’s secured in the gap between the boot lid and the rear window surround and under the wipers normally, but you can also tuck it under the corners of the bonnet, so it won’t fly off it get stolen.
  • In summer, it’s great at keeping the cabin cool and obviously protected from uv damage.
  • Because it’s a thick heavy duty material, you can put it on with the roof down, which is sometimes useful.
The bad bits:
  • It’s only lasted a year
  • You have to open and close the boot all the time, which doesn’t bode well for the loom of doom.
  • The sides have soft fleece lined edges which are great, but they contain magnets. Unless the car is clean and waxed along the door and around the hips where the magnets hold down the edge, you get paint damage. I have a feeling the magnets attract contamination and press it onto the body. Once I noticed this was happening I became obsessed with wiping down the car where the edges of the cover sit on the body to prevent damage, which has worked, but my family and all neighbours think I’m crazy.
  • The magnets will also pick up small metal things and if you don’t notice, deposit them on the car. I once dropped the cover on the ground and it discovered a small nail. Luckily I wasn’t putting the cover back on the car.
  • The seams of the cover are not taped, so as to be waterproof. This wasn’t initially a problem, but now that it’s a bit stiff and brittle, the seams leak, allowing water to be trapped underneath. The biggest issue is the seam that runs along the top of the rear window, because it is also joined in such a way that water tends to collect there and when it leaks through you have two little puddles along the bottom corner of your potentially leaking plastic window seam.
    2253BABD-0060-4D5E-97B8-6FD82049DED2.jpeg
A296DCFC-7A4B-4F96-96BA-1AC74F5F36D3.jpeg

I have now bought another half cover from Every Car Covered. It’s cheaper, lightweight and covers the leading edges of the boot and bonnet, so theoretically less water to be trapped within the body. Once I’ve had it on for a few weeks I’ll do a review and if it’s crap I’ll get another Custom Cover.

Dxbolton

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
2.8 auto
I don’t like covers as cars should breathe. A good waterproofing helps.
saying that, I have a car port that saves the roof from the bad elements and has helped extend the life of a few roofs.

Jam03

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
I don’t like covers as cars should breathe. A good waterproofing helps.
saying that, I have a car port that saves the roof from the bad elements and has helped extend the life of a few roofs.
I’ve heard of too many with saturated insulation under the seats to let it breathe. I tend to drive mine regularly enough to prevent it getting musty. I think the problem is not the fabric roof, but the ineffective rubber seals, grommets and blocked drains that can cause problems. The fabric doesn’t actually need any waterproofing. I dream of car ports and garages, especially when it’s raining.

Hwk-I-St8

Dedicated Member
American Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Roadster
Wow, reading this thread makes me realize how fortunate I am. My beloved Z gets to live in a heated garage with a dust cover.

Eddie-S

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 3.0i
I use a Halfords waterproof one, it has a soft inner and fits very well but I wouldn't say it is 100% waterproof, but no rubbing so far 🤞I've been looking at getting an outdoor carcoon for better all round protection.