Thinking of purchasing Z3

Jagz2695

Hi guys I'm thinking of purchasing a Z3 as my next car and would love some advise on what I should look out for in terms of common faults, issues and also what I can expect from Z3 ownership.

Let me start off with saying that I'm not in a position to have two cars so if I end up getting a Z3 I would be using it as a daily driver (unless that is not advisable).

I look forward for any advise I receive. Thank you.

bronty

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 auto pre facelift
Welcome Jagz
I am no expert but After owning one since April as a second car
I would say they are fun to drive hold the road very well for a 28 year old rwd car(never driven in the wet)
I have the 2.8 6 cylinder automatic version
What I learned
You feel pot holes
You get complete strangers talking to you in car parks.about your car
Some parts are expensive but the common items are cheap and easy to obtain
Cheap to insure under classic insurance
they are addictive
What I looked at is service history,millage not to high,mot history no oil leaks, no smoke,no or little rust, no squeaks,where it has been kept and if it has been imported
I am sure the more experienced owners will point you in the wrist direction

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Hi guys I'm thinking of purchasing a Z3 as my next car and would love some advise on what I should look out for in terms of common faults, issues and also what I can expect from Z3 ownership.

Let me start off with saying that I'm not in a position to have two cars so if I end up getting a Z3 I would be using it as a daily driver (unless that is not advisable).

I look forward for any advise I receive. Thank you.

Take a look here to start. Buy on condition as well maintained Z3s will easily surpass 250k miles so no issues using as a daily. Buy from an enthusiast if you can.

Bushes, rear subframe bushes, shocks, springs and top mounts. Cooling system (water pump, belts, pulleys, tensioner etc). Check carpets for leaks (check underneath).

Corrosion not a big issue but check inner sills (structural) and outer sills (cosmetic). Check rear trailing arms for Corrosion (£1500 new .... each side)

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
Personally I wouldn't use a minimum 21 year old car with a soft top as an only car. The Z3s, like so many convertibles, have a habit of leaking. They also like to rust if not looked after extremely well.
They are tapping on a bit, so finding a decent one which CAN be used as a daily is going to be difficult, and possibly expensive.

My wife has a Z4 (with a hard top) which she uses most days. I'm not keen on that TBH but it is just about do-able IMO

Each to their own, of course.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
My first Z was a Z3 and it was my daily car 🙂
Too me I got it too be driven 👍
Ive now got a Z4 and again it’s my daily car 🌞
I take it even to the supermarket to do my weekly shopping 🛒

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
I use my Z3 as a daily driver, no problem if well maintained.:)

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Here's my thoughts, the mechanical stuff is common to any car of this age so I wont go into those.
If the seller tells you its all original, walk away everything rubber will be knackered.
Budget will be the main factor. The bigger engines usually are more expensive, the best Z3s can be very expensive.

• Spend as much as you can afford for the right Z3, the better car you start with the fewer issues you will have.
  • Try to buy off a longer ownership and enthusiast, they will have looked after it and spent money on it (see above) most enthusiasts will have photos of work they have done.
  • Try to get one with a hardtop or buy one and the fitting kit separately if the budget allows, for all year usage and winter rain. Z3s can leak during prolonged parking outside in the rain.
  • Don't buy off the seller that has only owned it for the summer or a very short time, it will probably have been bought cheap, thrashed and not looked after.
  • Don't worry about high mileage if the car has been looked after, maintenance and condition over mileage.
  • As said check the outer sills for rust, it's an issue if not corrected, you won't be able to check in inners.
  • Check the condition of the soft top rear screen including the beading, if in bad shape it can cause issues.
  • Bushes are an issue, without evidence of replacement I would walk away.
  • Try to take someone experienced in Z3s with you or depending on your personal knowledge at least someone with a good mechanics eye.
Good luck :thumbsup: