Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of buying one of these as a 2nd car

Discussion in 'General Banter' started by hard top, Dec 16, 2012.

1. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive

2. Jonttt

Jonttt Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    ///M S54
    I had two of these (well my ex did ;-) an early 200 when they first came out and them a 6 month old AMG.

They are very different cars to the Z3 and IMHO just not as fun to drive. The hardroof is good but bizzarly I actually prefer a cloth roof in my roadsters (but then again its not my daily driver).

In my experience they are a lot more expensive to maintain / parts than the Z3 as well (the 200 needed a lot of warranty work over 2 years and some of the bills would have been horrendous jsut for sensors etc......)

3. g8jka

g8jka Zorg Guru (III)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
    Gookah original choose one of these over a zed =))

Since then he has had 6 differents Zeds, 4 of which were Z3's so you can guess which car he prefers between the two :D

4. badman gee

badman gee Guest

Get it mike, you will have 2 hairdresser cars then! :ymdevil:

5. gookah

gookah Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds

Model of Z:
    2.8 Z3

What he said...... ;)

It was nice with the roof down, in a open top driving way, as is any convertible, but other than that,, yawn yawn....
    With the roof up it wasn't anything special at all...... and the servicing prices... yikes.
    As for the dealership, well lets not go there (ever again)

I actually picked one of these over a 2.2 Z3 Sport... cos the boot is huge with the roof up.
    But 6 Zeds later I should be forgiven.... hopefully.

6. Mouldy

Mouldy Regular Member

Model of Z:
    None at present
    Mike

Try one of these;

[​IMG]

The wife has had hers since July 2011 and it has been terrific. The only 'non-service' cost has been a rubber doughnut at the end of the propshaft (diff end), which needed replacing as it was cracking. We used the Crossfire for our trip to the Gorge du Tarn earlier this year and cruising on the French Motorways hit 36mpg. The wife normally gets between 25 and 28 mpg for day to day use at home.

In the UK at least, they are fantastic value for money, with the coupe being much cheaper than the convertible.

I know that they are not everyone's cup of tea, but treated as a tourer rather than a sports car, fit the bill rather well.

Remember that they were based on a Mercedes SLK320, have all Merc running gear and were built in Germany by Karmann, so the build quality is good.