Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the project I said I would never do when i bought it project

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by Monkey, May 21, 2012.

1. Monkey

Monkey Regular Member

When i bought the Z3, i said i wasnt going to do anything to it, apart from general maintenence.

that has now all changed.

Spec when bought:

1.9 Z3. Built March 1998 in Boston Green

Photo of when i bought it

Roof up

[​IMG]

Roof Down

[​IMG]

when i bought it, the list contained only

New boot lid to remove the luggage rack
    New h/U as the car did have one
    fix central/remote locking
    fix electric seats

Electric seats were taken apart, freed up, rocking mod added and re fitted. and all working

H/U bought, a lovly pioneer MP3 with integrated parrot Handsfree kit, awsome

Central/remote locking fixed

whilst doing all this i found an oil leak, which is comming from crank case. this is a problem, which i still havnt permanently fixed, i was and still am planning on finding another 1.9 engine to drop straight in, and then completly rebuild this one. i was expecting to pick up an enigine this weekend, but it had already sold. so i'm back on the look. i'm NOT going to put a different engine in.

i put the car on a computer, as i noticed a possible miss fire, but i couldnt be certian, it was intermittant at best. the computer showed a miss fire, along with some other stuff (CAS sensor issue) so i check HT leads and found one to be a bit worse for wear (cylinder 3) replaced the HT leads and all codes now gone. and it runs alot smoother.

i have replaced the boot lid, which i found to be a different green entirely GRRRR, but i also bought a new front passenger wing, a new passenger wing mirror (both being the correct colour) and a new gear knob.

i bought and fitted a windbreak, i forget which one, but i'm not that impressed with it.

i also this weekend removed the mud flaps, and changed the BMW centre caps for new ones.

photo of how it looks now

[​IMG]

To do:
    Friday it going to get the back end painted so it all matches
    need to find a passenger headlight washer jet, as this is how it looks

[​IMG]

i want to replace the steering wheel, with a smaller BMW one, but thats not urgent.

and then in 2 weeks it having a very special treat.

i will say that all i'm going to do, but i know it wont be.

2. Brian4

Brian4 Zorg Guru (IV)
    British Zeds East Anglian Crew

Model of Z:
    Z3 3.0i Auto
    Re: the project I said I would never do when i bought it pro

Hi monkey

Welcome and good to see another Zed being revived.

Quarry motors are a good supply of parts for the headlamp washer or one of the breakers search engines(24/7 spares etc).

Happy hunting and hope to see you at Silverstone in July

Brian

3. Jonttt

Jonttt Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    ///M S54

Which smaller BMW sterring wheel are you going to change it for as the newer ones will not fit and have non compatable airbag electrics ?

4. Snoops

Snoops Zorg Addict

Model of Z:

Good to see another Boston green being given a new lease of life - top job :-bd

5. hard top

hard top Zorg Expert (I)
    Dutch Zeds The M44 Massive

Nice work Monkey, like the pepper pots, not many people would run with those nowadays bit I kind of like them.
    I hope you know that you can buy plugs for your boot lid if you remove the rack?

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/Z3/Ro ... r_rack_z3/

6. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport

The bug gets to you eventually!

I've never mod'ed a car before I owned my Z3. It all started with a couple of tweaks....

7. Monkey

Monkey Regular Member

cheers for the welcome, i'll look up Quarry Motors cheers for that. I've had bad experiences with the 24/7 find-a-part type places before, so i'd rather not use them.

not too sure yet, i dont even know which wheels are smaller. but changing the electrics wont be a problem.

Thanks, i didnt like the pepperpots that much, but they are growing on me. And as no one else likes them they are "rarer" thus my car looks different. thats the idea anyway. yes i saw the boot plugs, but i dont like that look. one thing you will notice is that when i do anything i'll do it the "best" way, no short cuts. if it costs more to do, i'll wait till i can afford to.

i've owned lots of car, and mod'ed most, but the Z3 was not going to have any work done, apart from the essentials to keep it on the road, and legal. but i have wanted a project car for a while. and the Z3 is a much better car than i thought and i have grown to love it. and one thing after another and i'm here replying to this thread.

8. Jonttt

Jonttt Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    ///M S54

Its not that simple I'm afraid as it would mean changing the "brain" of the SRS system. Later cars have a more sophisticated dual stage system which means that timing is an important factor in the way an aurbag is deployed, hence a later dual stage airbag wheel cannot be fitted to a single stage system car such as yours.

Some have fittd non airbag wheels but that depends how much you value your face and your insurance company accepting the much higher extra risk of personal injury without an airbag fitted ;-)

The only known option of fitting a smaller wheel whilst retaining an airbag in a single stage car such as yours is the raid wheels. Unfortunately these are predominently made for Porsches and hence are not cheap !