Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Myth of the "Real M Car"

Discussion in 'General Car Stuff or non-Zed Specific Stuff' started by GazHyde, Jan 26, 2014.

1. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    This is an interesting article I've just read through. Source article here

On two occasions in the past week I've had brow furrowing moments where someone made reference to a "real M car." The most recent being the comments on Chris Harris' comparison of the M6 GrandCoupe, E63, and Jaguar XFR-S where someone said "Finally maybe people will respect the M5/6 as real M cars." ...this raises a lot of questions, the most obvious being "what the hell does that even mean?"

It talks about when the M actually meant Motorsport, and how over the years the pedigree has become less meaningful. How the M-Sport derivation has watered down the brand, and that perhaps there really were on 3 real "M" cars.

It does however give some recognition of the Z3M Coupe as one of the last "real M cars" before the badge "sold it's soul for higher profits"

What do you guys reckon the "real M" actually is?

It talks about this...
    upload_2014-1-26_12-39-31.png

...and this...
    upload_2014-1-26_12-39-58.png

...and this as the only true M's
    upload_2014-1-26_12-40-28.png

2. badman gee

badman gee Guest

Any m car without a turbo!

3. Mr-P

Mr-P Zorg Addict

Model of Z:
    Sold Z3M
    To me a real M is the BMW 3.5 CSL 1976 (IMHO)
    csl3.5.jpg

The problem being these days any BMW driver with the "M" badge on his/her car thinks they own/drive the real thing. (don't get me started)

4. zedonist

zedonist Guest

I dont think you can exclude this:
    bmwz4gt3000opt-1267718898.jpg

5. DivideBYZero

DivideBYZero Zorg Legend

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.2
    I'm pretty sure my E46 M3 was an M car, and my current M3, with it's custom engine and suspension components and mental DSG, is about as M as it gets. Well, the exhaust mod helps, too... :D Is it comfy and coddling? Yes. Do I want to drive a stripped out hardcore racer everyday? No. :)

Now to really get this started, what about the M135i... what in the hell is that!

6. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    There was a point in it's history where M changed from meaning Motorsport to Marketing (or possibly Merchandise). I used to be one of those people who mocked people for sticking M badges on their cars. It doesn't bother me anymore, as BMW did all the hard work in making the M badge mean much less than it did in the early days.

7. DivideBYZero

DivideBYZero Zorg Legend

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.2
    Actually, I get the M135i. I'm not convoked calling it an Mxxx is wise, but it does make sense. To me the 1M was a true M car. The original M1 is pretty disappointing with regard to pure performance compared to even some of the diesels BMW makes today. It's all relative.

I DON'T get people putting M badges on their car. if you do that to a cooking variety car then you're only fooling yourself, as anyone who knows what the badge means knows your car isn't one. :p

(Just got my new 5 speed illuminated shift knob for the Z3 today, but it's on the inside, and that's allowed!)