Strut Brace (what do they add?)

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
I was thinking of getting a strut brace then thought better of it until I got some advice. Sooooo are they worth it and do they really add anything to the handling of the car, or are they just really under bonnet bling? Some of you Zedders must have them fitted. Any advice would be helpful

Cheers
Niall

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
There was a thread not long ago debating this.
I have one and feel they do make a difference in keeping the car a lot flatter in and out of corners by holding the suspension turrets ridgid.
Im sure if you find the thread there are many opinions.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
Plenty of people on here have them. I've got a brand new one that came with my car and never fitted it. Yours for £20 if you want it. I can bring it with me to the Derby meet if you're going

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Plenty of people on here have them. I've got a brand new one that came with my car and never fitted it. Yours for £20 if you want it. I can bring it with me to the Derby meet if you're going
Bargain :thumbsup:

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
We added one to our Z3 and it certainly seemed to tighten the front end up on the cornering

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
We added one to our Z3 and it certainly seemed to tighten the front end up on the cornering
Do you have one on the Z4 Bill? I see on the Z4 forum people do fit them but I know opinion is divided.

Tony.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
If you look Tony there is a V one already fitted to the front and have not found any reason to fit an additional one to it

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
@Jack Ratt thank you, bring it with you and I'll gladly part with some green backs.. Top man :thumbsup::)

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
I'll take a photo later and put it up here

Twin Turbo

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The issue with suspension there are a whole number of components that effect handing - firstly you need to quantify what you are wanting to achieve.

YES: A good quality will help tighten couring - but a cheep one will be some bling.

However people normally look at increasing the sway bars / anti role bars, or springs/struts or even coil overs.

If you what to improve cornering in - look at installing m3 suspension parts

But all these can improve handing - however they all benefit at different levels

So i refer to my first question, what are you looking to achieve?

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
The issue with suspension there are a whole number of components that effect handing - firstly you need to quantify what you are wanting to achieve.

YES: A good quality will help tighten couring - but a cheep one will be some bling.

However people normally look at increasing the sway bars / anti role bars, or springs/struts or even coil overs.

If you what to improve cornering in - look at installing m3 suspension parts

But all these can improve handing - however they all benefit at different levels

So i refer to my first question, what are you looking to achieve?
Really its trying to reduce the scuttle shake, though its not bad, on rough roads as with all open tops the Z3 suffers a bit, was hoping a brace may help?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I will add my usual statement that any "enhancement" such as this should only be done when you are 100% sure your suspension components are in top condition.

I fitted one to fix symptoms such as scuttle shake only to find at the next MOT I had a leaking shock absorber and 2 knackered ball joints. Once those were replaced the symptoms went and I never refitted the brace. I'm sure this isn't the case with yours but I feel it's worth mentioning to anyone who reads this thread later on.

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Here's mine @NODZED if you're interested
20160422_192358_resized (1).jpg

20160422_192506_resized (1).jpg

End plates are painted and body looks like it's wrapped or dipped with carbon fibre pattern.

Brand new condition, still in suppliers packaging.

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
I find a front brace noticeabe. Not massive difference but noticeable.
Even when brand new a z3 has enough scuttle shake so anything to help that.

I have a Bertini one across the top of the rear struts. It's marginal how much that helps as that area of the rear is stiff anyway (and I have poly bushes throughout the rear and brand new suspension all around). It looks good and that is important!

It won't help you catch red Yaris' though..

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
I find a front brace noticeabe. Not massive difference but noticeable.
Even when brand new a z3 has enough scuttle shake so anything to help that.

I have a Bertini one across the top of the rear struts. It's marginal how much that helps as that area of the rear is stiff anyway (and I have poly bushes throughout the rear and brand new suspension all around). It looks good and that is important!

It won't help you catch red Yaris' though..
That Yaris has gone down in the history of Zroadster.org =))
Thanks for the info.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Here's mine @NODZED if you're interested
View attachment 30614

View attachment 30615

End plates are painted and body looks like it's wrapped or dipped with carbon fibre pattern.

Brand new condition, still in suppliers packaging.
Yes mate I'll take that if you don,t mind assuming it will fit over the 3.2. I would think the 3.2 is not different in height or anything to the 2.8, but that said if it there is an issue fitting to the ///M I'll put it on the 2.8 :thumbsup:

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
I will add my usual statement that any "enhancement" such as this should only be done when you are 100% sure your suspension components are in top condition.

I fitted one to fix symptoms such as scuttle shake only to find at the next MOT I had a leaking shock absorber and 2 knackered ball joints. Once those were replaced the symptoms went and I never refitted the brace. I'm sure this isn't the case with yours but I feel it's worth mentioning to anyone who reads this thread later on.
Good advice Gaz but I have been through the ///M and its all good and just passed the MOT and as you may have seen I have done extensive work on my 2.8 and that still has some scuttle shake so I guessing its inherent in the Z3 (as in most soft tops), that said its not a big problem, but if it can be improved then I guess it its worth doing perhaps. Drove a TR6 once lovely car but "wow" that thing wobbled and twisted!!

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Thanks everyone for your input. BIG thanks to @Jack Ratt for the solution, see you Sunday.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If you look Tony there is a V one already fitted to the front and have not found any reason to fit an additional one to it
Yes I know there are already the two strut back to bulkhead bars as most, if not all, BMW's have, but that doesn't fully answer my question. Ok, you don't have one and don't see the need for one, but many do and I just wonder if they make any noticeable difference. It could of course just be under bonnet dressing and mine is bigger and shinier than yours. I'm just curious.;)

Tony.