Strippers Ahoy!!!

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
I am preparing my Zed for a partial resray and thought that I would like to share a few pictures of my efforts today :-ss

The reason it needs a respray, is that the front end has been peppered with stones over the years and as it is a dark colour it presently shows every chip, in fact I have never seen so many stone chips on a car before, I came to the conclusion that the previous owner lived next door to a gritter 8-|

The bonnet, the nose cone and the off side wheel arch panel are due to be sprayed this week. :-bd

We will post further pictures as work progresses :)

DangerousDave

Dedicated Member
You are not alone ;) .

Two sills, two indicator panels, front bumper, rear wing and boot returned from the sprayers yesterday. Will start putting the Meccano kit back together during the week.

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Be good to see side by side shots of the before and after body parts.

Had similar done last year myself, even more pleasure waxing him now.
How are your mirror bases?? I could see a very tiny bit of bubbling on one (hardly noticeable) but I got it done at the same time.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Wow
:-o

You've done well today Mike!! Sorry I couldnt be there to lend a hand.

Well done!! :ymapplause:

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
DangerousDave said:
You are not alone ;) .
Hi Dave. Please list what you have broken so far, :D my list consists of 1 x horn, it just fell apart and 2 x washer nozzles, the plastic was very, very brittle. The process also revealed that the front brake discs need replacing.

Are you posting any pics of your project?

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Snoops said:
Be good to see side by side shots of the before and after body parts.

Had similar done last year myself, even more pleasure waxing him now.
How are your mirror bases?? I could see a very tiny bit of bubbling on one (hardly noticeable) but I got it done at the same time.
Hi Snoops, We had the passenger side mirror base done last year, the drivers side will have to be in with a future project another time $-)

As they are going to the body shop tomorrow morning early, I will go down now, just for you, Snoops, to try and capture a picture of the stone chips, problem is they are so numerous, but minute, I don't think that I will be able to focus in enough to do them justice #:-s

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Did the front bumper come off ok mike?

DangerousDave

Dedicated Member
EnthuZiaZT said:
... what you have broken so far, ...

Are you posting any pics of your project?
See above for pic.

I have broken some of the white clips that hold on the sill covers, but I have found other parts that are broken / needing replacement. Such as the fuel filler cup (not the cap, but the rubber thing that diverts spilled fuel down the overflow) and some plastic panels. I replaced the cup (£20) and "glued" the broken plastic with a soldering iron.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
z3cade said:
Did the front bumper come off ok mike?
Yes Liam, only two torque bolts hold the front bumper on, once they and the undertray have been removed the bumper just slides off. Wiring is a doddle to disconnect. :-bd

The wheel arch liners, as you said, are more complicated, but once you've done one, the other is easier. :)

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Oh my god mike, hope its finished by Silverstone or you will be the best car for cold feed. ;) You gotta nerve doing all that :-ss :-ss

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
I'am sooo jealous of your garage !!! i really need to get my bonnet done , looking good

Si-forks on tapatalk

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
si-forks said:
I'am sooo jealous of your garage !!! i really need to get my bonnet done , looking good

Si-forks on tapatalk
After several years of restoring cars in all weathers, Si-forks ~x( it is good not to have to worry about whether it is going to rain on the very day you've planned a project :D

I also built an RSJ in the garage, so that I have been able to fit a chain hoist on rollers to lift an engine out, which came in handy a couple of years ago, replacing a normally aspirated diesel engine in a Landrover 90, with a 200 tdi Discovery engine. :ymsigh:

Fortunately, we have a body shop two doors down and he gave me a good price to include the bonnet :-bd

B

badman gee

Fortunately, we have a body shop two doors down and he gave me a good price to include the bonnet :-bd[/quote]

mike, will be interested to see the results.

i have a couple of bits need doing on the rover!

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Tip top work! I'll be doing something similar if I decide to keep my 2.2 long term (I am considering trading up to a 2.8 or 3.0 - the 6 pot sounds the dogs but I wouldn't mind a bit more bottom end torque). Bolt on panels are great aren't they? I remember having to grind welded wings off cars when I was a boy! That was back in the days when I used to have an oxy-acetylene kit at the back of the garage!

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Does the 2.0 model have a different fan arrangement? My 2.2 does not have that plastic fan cowling behind the grille - you just see the rad and the fan is on the other side.

Cheers.
Deano.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
SilverZed said:
Tip top work! I'll be doing something similar if I decide to keep my 2.2 long term (I am considering trading up to a 2.8 or 3.0 - the 6 pot sounds the dogs but I wouldn't mind a bit more bottom end torque). Bolt on panels are great aren't they? I remember having to grind welded wings off cars when I was a boy! That was back in the days when I used to have an oxy-acetylene kit at the back of the garage!
Do you still keep the oxy-acelylene in the back of the car ready for the wheel clampers, SilverZed :ymdevil:

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
SilverZed said:
Does the 2.0 model have a different fan arrangement? My 2.2 does not have that plastic fan cowling behind the grille - you just see the rad and the fan is on the other side.

Cheers.
Deano.
My 2litre has two fans, a viscous coupled one to cool the engine and the electric one that you can see in the pictures is for the air conditioning. :-bd

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Ah I see. Thanks. I didn't realise this being a non ac pauper! Do you use air con with the roof down? It could combat global warming! :))