Stelvio pass Italy

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Just watched a clip on YouTube driving the Stelvio pass in Italy and thinking that would be a great road trip, the drive there and then the driving the pass in a Zed would be fantastic !!

I'm a thinking that's got to go on my bucket list !!

View: http://youtu.be/V9TeRxEbcMk

MAURICE THE MARTIAN

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z4 3.0SE AUTO
Get it done.ive done it for the last 2 years . But to be honest theres a lot more and I think better passes all round that area.me billz and zedwheels took about 12 passes in last year great driving
Moz

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
indeed, there are a lot off other passes that are more then worth the trip.

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Wow looks amazing
Certainly is - we only did a small number compared to the others but they were great. There are more photos in the road trip write-ups.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
The best passes have to be the Susten and the Furka if you do do it then i recommend going via the Gran Ballon just before Mullhouse which is an excellent road with fantastic scenery and a great coffee shop doing home made blueberry pie yumyum

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
Just watched a clip on YouTube driving the Stelvio pass in Italy and thinking that would be a great road trip, the drive there and then the driving the pass in a Zed would be fantastic !!

I'm a thinking that's got to go on my bucket list !!

View: http://youtu.be/V9TeRxEbcMk
I was also excited by Top Gear to drive Stelvio to Davos and Maurice is right: the passes you will drive on the way to Stelvio from Austria or from Italy (from Milano you can drive about 10 fabulous Pass!) are even more spectacular! With the open Z it's something that you wish will never end......:coolsteer)
An important tip: make the schedule in such way that you start "climbing" arround 18.00 hours and better to have accomodation in one of the hotels in Stelvio; the road will be almost empty (in the middle of the day there are motorcycles, bikes and other cars....) and you will have the sunset panorama!:)
Stelvio is a must for every Z3!:scorecard:
I will try to come back with a detailed description and pics, one of these winter days.

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
The more information from those that have done it is very welcome as I've not done much driving abroad. Be interested in how many days would I need to put aside too ?

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
How ever many days you put aside it won't be enough lol

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I would catch the Chunnel stay Reims stay Mulhouse via the gran ballon and you could then visit the schlump motor museum, which we missed doing last year. Then you could do the susten passé and visit grindlewald and the eiger then take the furka up through andermatt. I will post up a link of what we did last year with a few variations and some hotels. But I would say you need at least 10days

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
If you download a program called tyre to travel I can send you various itn files you can open in it and see the exact routes. It is a safe program I have used it for years

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
The more information from those that have done it is very welcome as I've not done much driving abroad. Be interested in how many days would I need to put aside too ?
For the scenery routes is probably to plan arround 300 km/day, in order to enjoy the panorama, point of interest and accommodation.
For the parts where you are obliged to use the motorway, it's easy to calculate (speed limit 130 km/h)!
I successfully used Michelin route planner but I will inspect too the Tyreto travel, recommended here by Billz!

Woody100

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
10 days ! didn't realise I would need to escape for that long !! Might need a bit more planning but it's got to be done. Billz will download the Tyre to travel program so would appreciate if you could chuck over the send over the route please that would be great. :)