Stealer rant...

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
So far been super happy with my A3, and it's time for the first of it's 2 free services. Booked in with the local dealer, and dropped off as arranged first thing this morning. An hour or so later I get an email with a link to "Audi-Cam" which a video of their "technician" measuring the tread depths and brake pads. Along the top of the video is a list of 4 things that need attention.

This isn't particularly a rant about what they found, but more about the language user by their automated sytem and attitude towards pricing.

First off, there are 2 sections which relate to windscreen wipers. The first is called "Wiper Blades and Lock Operation" which is £54 all in to supply and fit 3 new blades, and in all honesty they do need changing. The second cost was for £17.50 labelled "Wipers and Washers" which is clearly a generic category, and the work involved is to realign one of the washer jets as it's not spraying effectively (yup, that's chargeable work even if you buy their wiper blades). Not particularly annoyed by this, but it's surely an easy win to make your customer happy when fitting the blades?

The third section was titled "Check Transmission Oil Change Due Date", s-tronic gearboxes need a change 36k. The car was booked in on 34k and no mention made at the time so I was completely unaware. The thing that enraged me was the ludicrous quote of £315.77 to change it. 20 seconds on Google found menu pricing published on the website of the next closest Audit dealer £225 for the same work, followed up with a confirmation chat with their service assistant.

The last section was "Visual Check of Brake Pads - Rear" and you can probably guess where this is heading. First off it states they are 65% worn, and underneath it states in capital letters "WE ADVISE THIS BE CARRIED OUT". Well of course they do, particularly when they charge an eye watering £298.70 to change them, and that's just the pads remember. Aside from the fact they clearly don't need changing any time soon, a check on the other Audi site and the same work is priced £139.

upload_2019-2-18_18-36-12.png

Suffice it to say it was then challenged with the service team, as soon as I said the cost of the gearbox change was ludicrous they price matched the other dealer. Fine and dandy, but they've already p***** me off, and that was before I even got the brake pad...

If I didn't know about cars and agreed them do all the work I would have given them £686.40 on a 15 month old car (granted I still need 3 wiper blades, and the gearbox oil change was due even though I had no idea).

So, in the very first interaction with them since buying a car they tried to scalp me for work that wasn't needed yet and overprice me for other items. The result is they've lost a customer who is now sat itching waiting for the customer satisfaction survey from Audi. I filled out their in-branch survey while I was there, and that wasn't the 5 stars they were likely expecting.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
Audi do seem to want to add things to the bill. No complaints with my 335 service goes in when it says on the idrive and only do what it says on it. Wipers lasting 15 months is really crap or was it a used car?

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Looks like the Zed shed will have to branch out to another German. I learned my lesson with my previous 3 series. Free service but required one of the tail lights as it was out (it had several) Just said OK fit thinking may be a £5 for the bulb and a £10 to fit no £66.70

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
That's what comes of dealing with main dealers. I like the wiper blade one, I have just bought 2 new Bosch blades for the Z for £11 from Euro and it should take at least 5 minutes to fit them.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Wipers lasting 15 months is really crap or was it a used car?
It was 6 months old when I got it, and the rear wiper blade (genuine Bosch fitted by myself) has not lasted 10k, the fronts are what were on it. cars done 34k now so I'm not too worried that they need doing. I'd have got them done today, but I was aggrieved about giving them any money at all.
Looks like the Zed shed will have to branch out to another German.
Sadly gotta keep the warranty up, but as soon as the next free service is done I'll be using the independent Audi garage my boss uses for his RS4 Avant. As long as I get decent receipts then the warranty will be maintained.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
That's what comes of dealing with main dealers. I like the wiper blade one, I have just bought 2 new Bosch blades for the Z for £11 from Euro and it should take at least 5 minutes to fit them.
They didn't change them, told them not interested and only got them to do the gearbox oil change. I'll be sorting the wipers later this week myself ;)

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
You've been robbed carparts4you i paid £8 for two.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
There is a reason why they are “free” services!!!

If you have done 36k on you brake pads and they are 65% worn then you will get another 13k or so until you are 90% worn, winds me right up does this!

Mazza

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 1.9 M44 Roadster Z3 2.8 Project
AUDI........Always Unscrupulous Dodgy Invoicing =))

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
If you have done 36k on you brake pads and they are 65% worn then you will get another 13k or so until you are 90% worn, winds me right up does this!
...and as the next free service according to the on-board computer is around 9k away, well you can do the maths.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
They all try it on,
Very much so, but this is probably the worst I've experienced. Oddly I found dealers more honest with the company cars I've had.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
So 65% worn pads. Well done for using that bit, is the other 35% broken? o_O

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
They all try it on,
the thing is if it had been someone else's company car it would just have been paid, no questions asked.
............. and the cost passed on to the end user/customer. Someone, some where, somehow pays for everything. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Tony

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Oddly I found dealers more honest with the company cars I've had.
Simply because they want to continue selling companies their cars. Rocket science it's not. The private punter is there to be had mate. Been there, seen it, done it I'm sad to say. Goes with the job.

Tony.

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
It's the same with a lot of companies, insurance etc. Some people don't have the knowledge we do so they just pay it. The money they lose from the customer that challenges the prices just gets pulled back from the next one that doesn't challenge and pays over the odds.

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
Bought some genuine Bosch wiper blades for my Z on the way home from buying it, they were that bad, and this is Wales, land of proper mans' rain:whistle:they lasted a couple of years, then fitted some £1.99 each blades from Wilkos', lasted longer than the £20something a pair ones from Halfords. And just bought a set of rear pads for my 330ci, £16.50. Glad I never have to deal with dealers.:)

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Looks like the Zed shed will have to branch out to another German. I learned my lesson with my previous 3 series. Free service but required one of the tail lights as it was out (it had several) Just said OK fit thinking may be a £5 for the bulb and a £10 to fit no £66.70
You’ve forgotten about the cost of supervision of the task of replacing the bulbs including the double sign-off to ensure they’ve got the right stock number from stores. Then of course you have to employ a properly accredited tester whose certification is in date plus the need for a suitably dark space in which to test the efficacy of the new installation. The costs quickly mount up! :whistle:

The reality is the servicing requires less and less to be done. They have to recoup their massively loaded hourly rates somehow.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
I used to work for Merc and all the guys in service get paid commission to sell parts and ramp time so they will always hit the vulnerable with big bills. It's a s*** practice in my view and shouldn't be allowed.

Cooper

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Australian Zeds
Model of Z
3.0i 2001
Bear in mind they are probably quoting for the nations best neurosurgeon to come in and do the procedure, 66.70 for 5 mins work is a bargain! Haha