Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speedometer swap question

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by BeesonBeemer, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:37 PM.

1. BeesonBeemer

BeesonBeemer Regular Member
    American Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 Roadster 1.9L
    Hey gents and gals. Continuing the quest to import my Japanese (Euro spec-ish) Z3 to the US. I got the glove box and steering column fascias sorted out, still a couple other things to do before it ships this spring. The biggie is the speedometer. I have found a US (mph) speedo, but it comes from an automatic transmission. Seller doesn't think it'll be compatible with my manual, but I wanted to get a second (and third and fourth) opinion. It's the correct year and such...

So what say ye, o' wise forum? Thanks in advance!

2. Jack Ratt

Jack Ratt Zorg Guru (V)
    Supporter British Zeds The West Country

Model of Z:
    2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
    I've got both auto and manual 2.8's and I believe they have the same instrument cluster. If you swap cluster you will need to re programme the replacement speedo because you will get the "tamper dot" showing that the mileage is incorrect.

The easiest way is to simply dismantle both instrument pods, remove the speedo and rev needles and just remove the backing plate by undoing around half a dozen tiny torx screws then just swap the backing plates over. Your speedo and the trip meter will still read in kms, but that wouldn't bother me, and I'm sure a vehicle inspector wouldn't spot it either.

Here in UK our instruments are dual scale, miles and kms

3. BeesonBeemer

BeesonBeemer Regular Member
    American Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 Roadster 1.9L
    Yeah, the Japan Spec Zs are km only, so I have a question submitted to DOT to see if I can just replace the gauge fascia instead of the whole cluster, which is what I think you are getting at. I was asking about aftermarket gauges, but its the same thing as what you are saying with an OEM fascia.

You are correct, DOT doesn't care if the odometer reads km or miles, so i'd be good there, but I will still have to replace some of the indicators at the bottome of the cluster (Brake, Oil, etc), as they are different here than ROW. Dumb.

Thanks for the reply!
    So, i might just buy the