Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare Tire

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by sobe_on, Oct 21, 2012.

1. sobe_on

sobe_on Regular Member

Any body already removed the spare tire from your Zed become lighter weight?
    will be a big body rolling of rear after removed?

2. Aceman

Aceman Moderator
    British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

Model of Z:
    ///M Roadster
    I think a few people have done this and I would suspect there is around 20Kg to be had if you remove it. You might want to check the condition of the spare wheel as well as many people have reported the tyre to be totally perished and useless when they have come to use it in an emergency so you could well be lugging around dead weight so to speak giving a very good reason to ditch it anyway.

Not having a spare is no different to us ///M owners who just rely on a can of tyre weld or a friendly AA/RAC man.

3. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    I found an interesting fact about Hong Kong & spare tyres. Having spoken to Sobe and Peter J previously it's extremely rare for HK residents to change their own tyres. They rely on their breakdown services to come out and do it for them.

From that basis, having a spare wheel really doesn't appear to be an issue.

I want to remove my spare and wheel carrier to save weight. I've had the aggro of trying to fit the 18" wheel on my passenger seat when it rapidly deflated mid corner. Its the original spare as well, so well past replacement I would imaging.

Not much room for a passenger! BTW, if you have to do this make sure the tyre is fully deflated for safety.

Attached Files:

4. NeRo

NeRo Moderator
    Staff Member Global Moderator British Zeds Scottish Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3
    This was the story about the tyre exploding in a Z3 - Woman dies after tyre explosion

I think,I've only used my Spacesaver once, ages ago, so good point about checking the condition :)

Does the spare wheel/Spacesaver not get looked at during the MoT?

5. sobe_on

sobe_on Regular Member

In fact, I just worry about the body rolling become danger if removed the spare tire
    : )

6. Brian H

Brian H Zorg Guru (V)
    British Zeds Scottish Zeds

Model of Z:
    E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
    Strictly speaking it should, but I suspect that many if not all MOT testers cannot be bothered (or even know how) to lower the cradle to check the condition of the spare tyre.

I now carry a small bungee strap to hold the boot lid down, this allows me to put the wheel in the boot should I have to use the spare, I have a couple of the BMW spare wheel plastic bags for the wheel you have just taken off, just in case it is dirty/wet.

7. peteslag

peteslag Zorg Legend

Model of Z:
    Z4 3.0 SE
    I don't think a 20KG spare wheel is going to have any impact on body roll.

8. sobe_on

sobe_on Regular Member

Just removed the spare tire and pick up time of speed become Faster (due to light weight)

But finally I put back the spare tire back in the box because the body rolling of rear seems too danger since my s*** suspension not enough hard become the s*** inclination!!!!
    (Sachs advantage + eibach pro kit), so I'll change it to BC oonce my H&R away bar arrived :coolsteer)