Space Saver

Neil Wilson

Dedicated Member
The tyre on my space saver is shot and the wheel rusty so I need to replace. Here’s the confusion, many say that from an E46 will fit but looking on eBay they seem to be a 115 90 16. Mine is a 125 90 15 and fits snuggly in the tray. What is the correct size and which model of saloon was fitted with the same or size that with fit the tray?

David Solloway

I don’t think I would bother. I’ve had my z3 for a month now haven’t checked the spare, imagine it’s rusty and not usable. I’ve got staggered wheels also. Be interesting what other replies you get.

Eddie Zedder

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.0
I believe the correct size is on the tyre pressure label on the driver's side door jamb.

Ian&Sue

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 Z3
The tyre on my space saver is shot and the wheel rusty so I need to replace. Here’s the confusion, many say that from an E46 will fit but looking on eBay they seem to be a 115 90 16. Mine is a 125 90 15 and fits snuggly in the tray. What is the correct size and which model of saloon was fitted with the same or size that with fit the tray?
Space saver from an E46 will fit fine. We had the same problem & after some advice from "Dakar" got one from Ebay for £45 in perfect unused condition.

Neil Wilson

Dedicated Member
Just checked and a 115 90 16 has a diameter of 24.1” and a 125 90 15 is 23.9” so very similar. I’ve discovered the 115 90 16 is fitted to a 1 series so is quite readily available. Has anyone used one and will it fit the tray being 1/5” bigger?

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
I don’t think I would bother. I’ve had my z3 for a month now haven’t checked the spare, imagine it’s rusty and not usable. I’ve got staggered wheels also. Be interesting what other replies you get.
It is a good idea to look after your spare, if it is in a bad way, there are plenty on e bay. The staggered wheels don't make any difference. I did 300 miles on mine last year after wrecking a tyre on the Lakes trip. Others on here have had similar experiences.

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9, Z4 E89 2.3
will a 115/70 R16 fit in the spare wheel carrier? and be compatible

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Specesavers in the Z3 are worth their weight in gold, mine got me 190 miles home after I cracked an alloy.

ViperKen

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
1998 1.9
Got a new space saver spare, after going down the route of tyre puncture repair kit and sticky goo for the last 2 years. Now I need a solution as to how to transport the damaged wheel after fitting the spare.

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9, Z4 E89 2.3
Got a new space saver spare, after going down the route of tyre puncture repair kit and sticky goo for the last 2 years. Now I need a solution as to how to transport the damaged wheel after fitting the spare.
Leave it hidden somewhere to collect later

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Carry a good set of luggage straps and a microfibre towel and strap it to the bootlid.

BuxtonZ3Guy

Zorg Addict
I have my car running on runflats. Well worth it on a car like a Z3.

Neil Wilson

Dedicated Member
Standard spare size is 125 90 R15, the 115 70 R16 is 1.6” (6.7%) smaller in diameter so it would fit the carrier, albeit rather loose but I wouldn’t want to use a spare that much smaller than standard.
More readily available are 115 90 R16, they are within 0.8% of the standard 125 90 R15

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 1.9, Z4 E89 2.3
Yes did think that but it's new, good value and better than nothing!