Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sound...

Discussion in 'M44 Massive' started by David Cullen, Jul 17, 2014.

1. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend
    Supporter The M44 Massive

question? what sound system does my 98 z have? does it have an amp and sub or is it just the two speakers behind the seats and two down at the foot well and two in the doors? just want to know so I can upgrade, thanks :)

2. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Based on experience, leave all the existing wiring in place and alone, fit a new head unit, new speaker wires, component speakers up front Hertz DSK130 (i recommend) with tweeters mounted in the screen, 4 inch hertz 100.3 (i recommend) in the back and a slim subwoofer (Fusion CP AS1080)under the passenger side matt. bias the head unit to the front speakers, dial in your desired bass and treble and enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GazHyde

GazHyde The Gaz Monkey
    Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator British Zeds

Model of Z:
    BMW Z4 3.0Si Sport
    I've changed the head unit on both my Z3's and that made a big enough improvement for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

thanks guys, ive changed the head unit and I have front speakers working but the back ones aren't working since I bought the car, that's why I wanted to know what to look for, I can see speakers behind the seats so that's handy enough but is there a sub somewhere?

5. zedonist

zedonist Guest

If you have a storage unit between the roll hoop section then no sub, if you have a mesh grille between the seats then you have a sub. You should have 3 inch speakers behind the seats for your year, all speakers made of paper with foam surrounds, not the best for decent sound. IMHO

6. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

ok thanks Zed, I have storage units, which I might add are much more useful than a sub :) I also see that the door has a single small speaker but has holes for two speakers :) so might add another there and then just uprate the rest, will see what sizes I can get first but would like to do kicker if I can :)

7. zedonist

zedonist Guest

I have a 6.5 kicker sub where the storage box is. You can fit 6.5 in the front, but will need spacers and grille mods. You can fit 5.25 in the rear but will need shallow mount other wise spacers make a problem for seat position. End of the day you only want to fill from the rear so the 4" hertz are ideal. Don't bother with the door cards, it is better to place tweeters on the dash to bring the sound station in front of you. I know all this because I have tried it all, and the best is what I posted earlier. Choice of HU is key also, I have an Alpine mechless player, it allows you to put an alpine inline amp to it which sits behind behind the HU.

8. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

nice man, sounds like a nice set up :) im just going for simple and mid range so I got a ripspeed flipout unit the other day and will try source kicker or fli speakers to suit, done all that sound stuff years ago with amps and subs and caps, here I just want it simple but decent enough, probably go 3 way in the foot well and at the rear, should be good enough, seems to be some coax run to the rear already :)

9. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

anyone have the speaker sizes? foot well, rear and door? thank you :)

10. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Fli components worked well in the front, don't do 3 way in the front as the sound is too low and too far forward. Components is the way go. My set up as described excluding the sub is £350 including Hu and in line amp.

11. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Foot well 5.25

Rear is 3 inch

Door cards are 1.5 inch mid and 1 inch tweeter, I have the mids if you want them

12. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

ok so foot well are 5.25"
    door are 1"
    and rear are4"
    :)

13. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

ha you beat me to it :) I will have a look around first Zed and see if I can get the lot in the same brand, thanks for the offer :)

14. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Rear are 4 inch on face lifts

15. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

16. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Try these

Rockford Fosgate Punch Series: P142 4'' 2-Way Full Range Speakers for the rears

Rockford Fosgate Prime R1 Series: R152-S 5.25" 2-Way Component System Speakers for the front

17. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

they look like bad boys :) not sure about the brand though... and shipping is cat... 30 blip to ship /

18. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Brand is excellent,you can pick them up off ebay free shipping

19. David Cullen

David Cullen Zorg Legend

yea man, checked it on ebay and its 30 shipping :-/ fli gear is 15??? go figure