Show us your 44's

Z

zedonist

As the title says, show your 44's, if you have and M44 post your picture, here is mine:

SAM_1693.jpg

Its a march 1999 example, so close to the end of the production life for an M44, i have had her for 3 years, and i am a big fan of the engine, as it is simple enough for me to do all the mechanical work my self. A lot of people say it is not powerful, but this i guess is based on the initial release which was the 8v version, BMW responded with the 16v version which never got any reviews, it loves to rev and needs to be driven on the revs to get the best out of it.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
My October 1996 M44 16V Z3. This is the registration date, so it could be one of the first.
I bought it from one previous owner, a car collator, I love his garage.
It came with the hardtop, wind deflector, tonneau cover and boot rack with the BMW suitcase.
No heated seats though.....and no airco.

Z

zedonist

I would ask you to remove your post BMG, but I have to agree I like your M44's so they can stay, back to the topic though......

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
will post a pic when the new wheels go on and she has had a nice wash and wax!

hardtop....love your car, areal beaut!

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
A lot of people say it is not powerful, but this i guess is based on the initial release which was the 8v version, BMW responded with the 16v version which never got any reviews, it loves to rev and needs to be driven on the revs to get the best out of it.
I maybe wrong but I thought it was the other way round with the 16V coming out first and then BMW changing it to an 8V in tha facelift version which kind of ties in with Mike's Z3 being a very early 16V.

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
you are both right....I think...

http://users.belgacom.net/bmw_z3/bmw_z3_specifications.htm

according to this1.8 was produced alongside the 1.9 from 95-97 then the 1.9 was the only smaller engined variant produced until the 1.8 was re-intoduced as an entry level model as a "facelift" option..

this is my understanding having done some research before purchase but I admit to being somewhat confused as there is some contradictory info out there..

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
I maybe wrong but I thought it was the other way round with the 16V coming out first and then BMW changing it to an 8V in tha facelift version which kind of ties in with Mike's Z3 being a very early 16V.
Yep that is the way I remember it too, it always seemed backwards to me but there you go.

Z

zedonist

I maybe wrong but I thought it was the other way round with the 16V coming out first and then BMW changing it to an 8V in that facelift version which kind of ties in with Mike's Z3 being a very early 16V.
No common misconception, they were producing models in 1994 onwards in the old version of the M43, a lot of these were sold into mainland europe, as i believe mainly the M44 was sold in the UK, which is why some members have issues getting parts for a pre 1999 1.9 as it always lists the M44 variant. It would have been these early cars that the press would have been driving at the time and i guess that the actual first James Bond car was only 8v, as this was an early release at the time.

There are two M43 designated engines the M43B18 this was used in Z3 Production upto 1998 it had a displacement of 1796cc and was known as a 1.8, the facelift model got the M43TUB19 Engine which had a displacement of 1895cc and is known as a 1.9

joey

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 16v M44
jonco that is a very clean example...very much appeals to my sensibilities of keeping things original,(appearance wise anyway)

been looking for a set of those z star style 35's for a while and have had to settle for a set of style 18's in the meantime...

Zeti

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Romanian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 roadster 1.9
My October 1996 M44 16V Z3. This is the registration date, so it could be one of the first.
I bought it from one previous owner, a car collator, I love his garage.
It came with the hardtop, wind deflector, tonneau cover and boot rack with the BMW suitcase.
No heated seats though.....and no airco.
Mine it's a June 96 with heated seats, aircon and 25%LSD.:rolleyes: So we are the "first steps" (on the road) of the M44!
I found this version very comfortable for GT.
I would like to drive a 2.8 or 3.0, but the total costs are not affordable for me.......at least for this life time!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

DivideBYZero

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z3 2.2
Mine it's a June 96 with heated seats, aircon and 25%LSD.:rolleyes: So we are the "first steps" (on the road) of the M44!
I found this version very comfortable for GT.
I would like to drive a 2.8 or 3.0, but the total costs are not affordable for me.......at least for this life time!:)
The 2.2i is the best of both worlds. :)

Steve F

Dedicated Member
American Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Roadster 1.9, 1.9 DASC, 2.5i and an M
I've shared this before,
IMG_0002.JPG

and here is a picture of Susan's car before we bought it
20140309_113956_zpscharvoc7[2].jpg

It is currently sitting in the garage waiting for my return home. I'll remove all the stickers, install roll hoops in place of the bar, a stock steering wheel in place of the Momo and a Imola Red hard top. Most likely it will get new wheels and tires in a square set of 17" style 18.

Both of these cars have Downing Atlanta Superchargers. As time goes on, I'll continue to tinker with them both.

Z

zedonist

Looking good Steve, do the DASC units come up for sale very often in the states? where is the best place to look, i would very much like to get one fitted to mine.