Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show Shine

Discussion in 'Summit Detailing' started by wildeboy, Apr 26, 2013.

1. wildeboy

wildeboy Dedicated Member
    British Zeds M Power

Model of Z:
    Z4MC
    Hi Chris,

I am looking for that final shine, that 'pop', 'wizz', 'bang' or whatever noise really shiney cars make!

I have gone through the stages of wash, clay, wash, then a very gentle machine polish with Menz Super Finish, this took out all the very fine swirls but left the deeper swirl/scratches. I could have used a courser compound but it was my first time and I don't have the luxury of a paint thicknes guage!

Then I used some Prima Amigo which is an even finer polish and pre wax glaze with fillers, left overnight to cure then a coat of Prima Banana Gloss wax. The car is looking pretty fantastic, especially compared to how it was before, the remaining deeper scratches are looking much less obvious than before.

I am going to give it another couple of coats of Banana Gloss tommorrow morning, but is there anything else I can do to get that extra bit of shine?

I have read that a coat of the glaze on top of the wax will give extra shine although will wash off with the first rain, or will the quick detailing sprays add anything? I have also read about 3M Hand Glaze but don't want to end up stripping any of the coatings already applied. I need a trick from up the pro detailers sleeve.

Or have I done all I can?

2. Summit Detailing

Summit Detailing Zorg Addict
    British Zeds Resident Detailer

Model of Z:
    Mercedes C320CDI AMG Sport Estate - Tenorite Grey
    Hi John,

It sounds like you've been busy!
    95% of the finish is in the prep stages & without removing more of the deeper paint defects you won't see much improvement in the finish than what you have already.
    Adding more layers of the Banana Gloss will only add to the protection element not the 'look'.

In my opinion Glazes are not worth the time or money unless you have an older car which has single stage paint (no lacquer). In this case the oils in the glaze will act almost like a moisturiser & then they are sealed in with a wax.
    On modern lacquered finishes as you've said if it rains or you wash the car you'll be removing the glaze.
    3M hand glaze would replace the Prima Amigo in your process mentioned above.

One thing worth trying might be Zaino Z6 & use this as a QD after washing..easy to use & not time consuming especially if you use a QD as part of your wash routine currently.

Hope this helps & get a couple of pics up so we can see how good the car looks :)