short changed on car fix?

california123

Dedicated Member
Guys i mentioned a few months ago ,a problem with lights on my dash.I came across a firm advertising home visit mechanics.Im wary of any mechanic i dont know,but i had no other choice but to hire them.The guy came, and diagnosed the problems, and the fixing cost.He took the car away for two days comes back, and one light is off but 3 are still on.He said it needed something extra to sort that out ,but the original agreement was for a fixed price to fix car totally.Stupidly i gave him the full price with the promise of him coming back to finish the job on car.Two months have passed, and my z4 remains with 3 lights on dash,traction lights.This guy now is hard to contact, and brimming with excuses to explain delay in coming back.I feel defrauded,and its a lesson i think to any car owner to trust no one,get everything in writing, and making clear that the cost of repair will be paid when the job is fully completed.I have contacted the local consumer advice office for advice.The mot is in april for the z4 and as it sits thanks to this thanks to this apparent shady mechanic it has no chance of passing!ps the price for diagnosis was 60 uk £s.the price for the fake fix was 360£s 60p.

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Care to name and shame him to save anyone else falling into the same trap?

Tony.

california123

Dedicated Member
I didnt put name on as i wanted to respect the site in case they didnt want names in a situation like this.I have contacted the local city hall consumer advice, and as they( might) say i should involve the police ,i will hold off from name ing the mechanics company, and the particular so called mechanic that came for a later date.Just to say they advertise as a company that has veted mechanics on their books who will give your car a home fix.Im deeply suspicious of any trades men who have a person at their mercy without any technical knowledge of the item they need fixed.Its a minefield for dodgey practice .There are honest people out there, but beware the stranger you have no history of coming to fix anything you own!!!remember any one who obtains money from you fraudulently is a common thief....