Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shifter Bushing Overhaul

Discussion in 'Z3 Roadster & Coupé' started by zedonist, Jun 18, 2014.

1. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Has anyone done the shifter bushing overhaul, any advice (including grammar), parts required etc?

2. Aceman

Aceman Moderator
    British Zeds 3rd Party Trader

Model of Z:
    ///M Roadster
    Sounds a bit shifty to me. =))

Just to clarify for others I presume you are referring to the gear shift. Have you got excessive play in yours. ?

3. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Yes the usual BMW gearbox fault, does not look to expensive, just wandering if it can be done on ramps in a home garage

4. Lee

Lee Zorg Guru (V)
    British Zeds #ZedShed M Power

Model of Z:
    Z4 Coupe
    My other Zed suffers with this. The gear stick tends to lean towards 5th gear until the box is warm.

5. zedonist

zedonist Guest

Thanks for the links, I had seen the pelican how too. I don't think it is the pins, as the box I'd like silk in all gears, just play in the shifter itself.

6. gizze

gizze Regular Member

I was about to order the kit as mine was really bad, and would sit under 5th when it was in neutral, and would often find 5th when I wanted 3rd.

However, I put in a quart of Redline D4 ATF and the other 1/3 quart of MTL and within a few miles it it was no longer sticking, plus it shifts so, so nicely now.
    From cold it is actually a bit harder to get into gear, but within a mile it is perfect.

Very happy with the results.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. zedonist

zedonist Guest

I have the D4ATF waiting to go in, but I need to do the shifter bushings and replace the selector oil seal first, I have only heard good reports about the redline oil.