Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Hi All,

We have been working on a new setup and will be moving zorg to it on Wednesday 5th June during the UK daytime. I haven't any specifics on down time but there will be some interruption as we move things around. This is a significant difference in server configuration which we hope will eventually be beneficial for speed and additional redundancy.

The site is a reasonable size and moving the data around takes a bit of time. We don't want to lose any posts so while the move is going on we will take the site offline.

Thanks everyone.

James

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
I have just completed a test run and it took about an hour and a half to sync the data to the new server, which, will roughly be the amount of time the site is offline.

I could reduce this down to a few minutes but it adds a lot more work to the process, so, I hope it's not too inconvenient if I go with the simple transfer! :)

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Make it easy for yourself James, we can do without the forum for a couple of hours...……….well I can ;)
Thanks for all your time on this.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Good luck James.
Always a heart stopping moment when you start a big change. Keep it simple. Have a method statement and track what you’ve done and don’t be worried about going to the back-out plan if it doesn’t go as you expect.

There will always be something you didn’t expect afterwards. Am sure everyone will accept some problems and niggles for a while afterwards. This isn’t life-and-death so please don’t worry about them if they occur. Our lives will continue regardless. :thumbsup:

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Hi All,

First stage completed. Took a bit longer than planned but needed to do some tweaks. Let us know if you see any issues.

The next stage should be seamless which will enable the site over multiple servers and allow us to do server upgrades without any downtime.

We have some new toys on this setup to increase the site speed so we will experiment with those settings over time to find the best setup for the site.

Thank you all for your patience while we did this :)

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Thanks for all the time you've spent on this James, it's hugely appreciated by everyone on here - even those who don't know how hard you work in the background and assume I do everything :D

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Test post from me too. Thanks again for your time James, good job:thumbsup:

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Look forward to seeing all the new shinny bits.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Thanks for all the time you've spent on this James, it's hugely appreciated by everyone on here - even those who don't know how hard you work in the background and assume I do everything :D
Here's to another 8 years of making you look good =))

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Yeah, about that. . . . . . . . . . =)) Many thanks James, and Gaz. You're both very much appreciated.:)

Tony.

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
It seems much faster to respond now as well. Great job so far:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Keet

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i M Sport
Got the following error a moment ago:

Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Thanks for letting me know Keith, I spotted it earlier as well and mentioned it to James. I'll get him to update the resource limit which should sort it.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
:scorecard: Well done , it’s much faster for me too :party: